Saturday, July 29, 2006

Bush capital marathon festival

It was great to see so many happy and smiling faces today at Canberra's Bush Capital Marathon festival. I'd never run the event before and was impressed with the organisation and turn-out. The festival caters for events from the 5km to a 60km ultra, all off-road via track and trail through the Mt Ainslie and Mt Majura areas and beyond. Start and finish is at the Campbell High School next to the Australian War Memorial.

I settled for the 16k run that roughly follows a circuit around Mt Ainslie. I felt tired at the start after yesterday's 60k bike ride. So I didn't push the pace and was happy just to chat with others and admire the views. Being a great run in the bush, nature was in full force. On a beautiful sunny winter morning I enjoyed taking in the fresh air and seeing the fantastic bird life. Galahs, sulphur crested cockatoos and other pretty flapping things were in abundance. Departing off the track for a pit stop I even disturbed a herd of kangaroos that was as surprised to see me as I was to see them. I was worried about snakes but Elle (at left), one of my running buddies, promised to do a Crocodile Dundee on them, catch one, and break their backs. Thanks Elle!

The day was again a great social one and I enjoyed very much catching up with everyone. A special word of congrats to Emma (at right) who did the 25km run and looked as fresh and relaxed at the finish as she did when I ran with her in the early stages of the run. I also ran for a bit with one of my regular running buddies, Michelle, and was impressed as always with her ability to really push on the hills and at the same time respond to my inane chatter! (that's Michelle at lower left finishing hard).

There were so many of my other running pals out there today and it was wonderful to see them - and be inspired by them - including PRB (great seeing you running for a bit), Leah (your recovery from injury is an inspiration), Aki (nice to meet you again), Strewth (hope that lergy is a thing of the past), Natasha (hope that foot thingy is a thing of the past for you), Eric and Norma, Beryl, Bernie, Maria and Jim, Allrounder (a very embarrassed Tuggeranong Don was intrigued to find you were a female and not a male), Marg, Charmaine, Helen and Maria, and Jodie.

It was great to see Speedy Geoff again with some of his proteges. (That's him lower right at the finish with Helen and Maria. Holding hands...umm...nice touch Geoff!

So the morning was a delight. The only note of concern was the short, sharp pain I felt in the middle of my left foot as I tried to push the pace, not far from home. A couple of hours now after the run, the foot doesn't feel quite right. I hope it is nothing.

12 comments:

speedygeoff said...

TD was running with us with 2km to go when I asked him to run home fast, grab his camera, and photograph us coming in. Off he went! Thanks TD. Please don't hold that foot pain against me!

strewth said...

Great photos and lovely to have a chat with you after the run. You're right, there were so many familiar faces out there. It was great.

Jaykay said...

Hope your foot comes good TD.

I love the social aspect of the fun runs/festivals. I think it's great to meet up with all the online running buddies that you chat to over the course of time.

Sekhmet said...

Some great pics there Don, sounds like you had a wonderful morning. I do hope that it is nothing serious with your foot - take it easy, I'd hate to hear you were out of action :-(

Anonymous said...

Yes, some great pics there Don. The fun runs are really great social occasions and is great to put faces to some online nics.

Hope the foot gets better.

Tesso said...

What a great run report TD. You make trail running sound so wonderful. All I think about is the stupid rocks, and the stupid mud, and the stupid hills.

Hope the foot is okay. Can't have you out injured and not posting stories like this to inspire us all!

allrounder said...

LOL, TD, that's OK...happens all the time...

it was great to finally meet you...

hope your foot has pulled up OK?

Unknown said...

Very interesting post, TD, and what a difference running & racing with friends make! Hope the foot pain hasn't become an injury...I'll be very cross with you if it has!

Rob said...

Last weekend seems to have been a top one for running everywhere. There is some enjoyable reading as I scan the blogs. You certtainly make running around Canberra sound very attractive Don.

PortRunr said...

Sounds like a fun day on the back of a big ride. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the day so much, and hope that the foot is nothing serious.

Robert Song said...

Don,

If you haven't been to Brisbane for a while you probably would be suprised at the changes in the New Farm to Breakfast Creek reach of the river. Do you get back here much? Surely you must want to escape that Canberra winter sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Geriatric patients and celexa Teens with high blood pressure