Saturday, July 01, 2006

'Tour de Mountain'

I've mentioned my Saturday running group many times and there they are (I took two shots from different directions to try and get everyone in). They're not phantoms they really do exist.

Friendships exist for many reasons but the friendships that take shape out of a common passion or cause I think are something particularly special. While the rest of the world is asleep there is my group up and adam on a Saturday morning in the cold and dark doing battle with the elements. It's maybe a little hard to begin with but then there are wonderful views to be had from those hills around Canberra, the carpets of mist lying dormant across the lower ground, the sun rising over it all and then us, out of breath, panting hard to get to the top of the peak. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I am not critical of the media focus on elite sport. They have to talk about something. But beyond the headlines there are ordinary people like those in my Saturday group who perhaps won't make the headlines and don't want to. Yet when it comes to their approach to running and fitness many of them have their own stories to tell; stories of overcoming adversity and difficulty; stories of personal triumph and victory. Why doesn't the world hear these stories? They are my heroes.

When I took these photos we had just finished an especially challenging course called 'Tour de Mountain'. The run starts at Canberra's Southlands shopping centre, takes in the peaks of Isaacs ridge, followed by the Wanniassa hills then, just when our glutes, quads (just ask Natasha's!) and brains are crying murder, we finish off with the grand finale of up and over Mt Taylor before arriving back at the shops. It's about a 19k, two hour effort in all and its tough not matter what the calibre of the runner. It's also great fun and I enjoyed it enormously.

Climb every mountain, search high and low
Follow every by way, every path you know
Climb every mountain, ford every stream
Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream

(Lyrics from the song, Climb every Mountain, "The Sound of Music")

4 comments:

Horrie said...

Another great post Don. It is great for you to express how much these people mean to you. We are very fortunate to spend so much quality time with like minded people.

PortRunr said...

Nice to meet the group!
Sounds like a tough but rewarding run to share with them.
Now that my structured HM training is over I'd like to catch up with our local sat morning group more often.

Tesso said...

Fantastic post TD. I'm sort of glad the media don't talk about people like us, I reckon what we all do is a nice little secret to have.

Great pics too. Though the headline on the newspaper has me curious.

Carolyne said...

I know that the Saturday running group exists, but do you??

Great post Don, and I look forward to being able to join you (your group!) one day.