Saturday, July 15, 2006

Mt Taylor - solo

I set out this morning in the rain to run Mt Taylor with my Saturday running group, only to find the group had found the morning too cold and wet and, like little pikelets, had given it a miss.

So it was left to me to do battle - alone - with the elements, to run hither and tither through slosh and sleet, across brooke and dale to the lofty heights of this mighty summit overlooking Canberra's southern suburbs. It was enough to make one sing.....(and I can just hear Julie Andrews now...."Climb every mountain....").

Actually it turned out to be quite a good run. The conditions were certainly crappy. Lots of low cloud, fog, cold rain, and the temperature hovering around eight. But I soon got warm working my way up the trail to the top of Mt Taylor. And it was a sloshly trail too...I was was going up one way, and gravity was doing its trick with little rivers of water going down the other. Unlike the last time I did this trip, there was not a soul to be seen. That added another dimension to the run; a little eerie though with heavy fog covering the top.

It's a reasonably steep run to the summit but worth the effort. It was magic up there. The rain was more like sleet and stung my face. There was a strong breeze up there too, bringing with it more of that low fog and cloud swirling through Woden Valley. I felt like I was on top of the world watching Lady Nature mix her basic elements. Euphoria kicked in after that struggle to get to the top and I stood there admiring the view. God it felt great to be alive.

I didn't stay too long. My waterproof New Balance running jacket proved to be not so waterproof and I was soaked to the bone and cold. By the time I got back to where I had parked my car I looked like something the cat had dragged in. If it wasn't for those nice Brooks Adrenaline running shoes I was wearing, I probably would have been mistaken for an amoeba washed up from a prehistoric swamp. Perhaps Fred and Wilma may have found me of some use (see my post on them of 4 June).

I really missed my running friends too. They're more wiser than me. The conditions and common sense suggested I probably should have given this run a miss, and that was certainly what I was telling myself before I started the run sitting in my nice warm car.

Yet to make it to the top of Mt Taylor in those conditions was something special, a little tonic for the spirit. And I couldn't afford to miss a run with the City to Surf only a few weeks away. I felt I just had to do the run.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, there's been heaps of posts on the coolrunning.com.au web site about the benefits or otherwise of the joint food stuff. I use it and think it has benefits. I am sure it has some side effects, though, one being that it gives me very vivid dreams.

Above is a comment left at my blog by TG yesterday re - Glucosamine.

Are you sure you weren't having one of your vivid dreams? lol

Still sounds like a great run.

Sekhmet said...

Ooooh, terrible weather here today as well - I was a pikelet also *hangs head in shame*

My excuse was also that I didn't want to get my one remaining pair of runners wet and not have them for my long run tomorrow ;-) 'Tis my excuse and I am sticking to it! LOL

Great post as always!

Friar said...

WOW that puts a lot of us into the category of "Armchair runners."

I was thinking of running all day, but didn't get around to doing it.

:-((

R2B said...

I'm with you Don, ran out in the mud and spray today.
Special feeling though when its over and your warmed up again is it?

R2B

strewth said...

Well done - it was foul weather not fair out there today. You have my utmost admiration running in those conditions especially up Mt Taylor - wow! Talk about crazy runners!! You certainly deserved the "after glow"!

Rob said...

The word committed comes to mind Don. I am not sure of the tense though...whether "are" or "should be".

PortRunr said...

So they couldn't back up for the conditions after last weeks run?!
Good on you for making the most of some challenging conditions...they're usually the most satisfying.

Tesso said...

Good on you for getting out there amongst it yesterday Tuggeranong Don. Runs like that are really memorable.

I've run (and walked) up Mt Taylor several times, I have a good friend who lives just near the base of it at Kambah. Its so lovely up there. The last time I ran it I came down a different way and had no idea where I was. Luckily a friendly walker took care of me and led me in the right direction. I was gone so long my friend was about to send out a search party.

Next time I'm there I'll let you know (mid December for sure but maybe sooner).

speedygeoff said...

Sunday was fine....

Jaykay said...

Isn't it amazing that it all looks so flat from the sky!!

Sounds like you had a great run, if maybe a little lonely.

Aki said...

I certainly piked. You described it really well, especially those rivers, amazing how you can do it!

Horrie said...

Well done Don for getting out to brave the elements. Shame your running partners missed out on the special feeling you had when you finished.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! 1994 mazda protege parts save life insurance http://www.anti-bextra-inflammatory.info/Tamiflu-shelf-life.html wellbutrin xl side effects shaved vaginas 2004 concept truck volvo

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP antivirus Cloaking for freelancer Health natural store supplement fitness info accutane Sony laptop vaio