Saturday, July 22, 2006

Group dynamics

I had called them "pikelets" for opting out of last week’s run in poor conditions. Today, they showed why my Saturday running group is so special to me.

Firstly, some details on this morning’s run. It was mostly over old ground. Starting at Mawson it takes in nature reserves at Farrer Ridge, the Wanniassa Hills, before a jaunt through the Long Gully Pine Plantation, then a return to the start at Mawson and our coffee. It was about a 17km effort. As we like it, it was hilly And mostly over track and trail with mega kangaroos and a rising morning sun (above) for additional company.

Last week’s non-run probably contributed to a great turn out today and it was fantastic to see everyone. It was made more special for me as there was a nice little surprise waiting for yours truly during the coffee. The group wished me happy birthday. Very nice….and very intriguing – my birthday was actually back in May! But a confidant had leaked (so typical of Canberra!) this bit of sensitive information to our convenor, Maria. Maria then went and organised accordingly. (That’s me above right with my candle.) I shan’t reveal the confidant’s name (but Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and a Mad Hatters Tea party =?).

I was very touched by this morning and the surprise says so much about the group. A year ago I didn’t know one person among them. But yet they are now among my closest friends and I feel like I have known them forever.

They are wonderful people who, as I have said before, celebrate a common passion in our sport.Birthdays are recognised, triumphs celebrated, and disappointments lamented.

"Just do it", says Nike, as if it's a dream, an aspiration and something which should get around to doing.

"Just does it", is my group's approach...to running, walking. To life.

That's (in descending order) Michelle, Natasha, Marg, Elle and Linda from the group.

8 comments:

Rob said...

Happy Birthday for May, Don. I believe it is pretty hard to keep secrets in Canberra. It took longer than usual for your's to be leaked though.

This morning's run sounds like another special memory.

Anonymous said...

Great pic of the scenery (oh, and the others as well). You mention a dream, it's not fish oil induced I hope (ref to your comment at my blog).

Tesso said...

Happy belated b'day from me too.

Tuggeranong Don, I have to say your posts re your weekend long runs are amongst my favourites. Your words capture everything that is truly wonderful not just about running but about running friends.

It makes me realise how fortunate I am to have discovered the sport and developed the passion :-)

Cirque said...

That looks like a beautiful place to run, especially with good company.

Robert Song said...

From those photos I can see why you are envious of Qld winter weather.

2P said...

Many happy returns Don - sounds like a great run with some great folk.

strewth said...

Happy Belated Birthday TD. Does your May birthday mean you are a fellow Gemini or are you a Taurus? They are great photos and it sounds like you had a lovely run with great company in our beautiful bush capital.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »