Saturday, August 05, 2006

"Bless me father...."


"Bless me father, for I have sinned. It has been three fun runs and two marathons since my last confession, father, and these are my sins...."

A mea culpa follows, but first of all some pride before the fall. My Saturday group did another great run today of about 16-17k's over familiar terrain in the Fadden-Wanniassa-Isaacs area. That's Leah, Ann and Maria (right) on a high(!) having reached the top of Mt Wanniassa leaving behind the magnificance of the Tuggeranong Valley. Simply a bootiful morning!

After the run we celebrated the birthday of Marg (left) today, one of our much loved members. Happy birthday, Marg! I know you had a great day yesterday with your family and friends. Your running friends today cherished the opportunity to share in it too.

Now for the Mea Culpa. My name's not Mel Gibson and I didn't get caught drink-driving on a Los Angeles highway. But I am guilty of a crime so wicked, so heinous, so dastardedly awful that a public lynching seems the only appropriate recompense. Yes, my friends, I am guilty of....

....failing to mention my friends on my blog. Really, I am very embarrassed by this.

It occurred during my last post when I listed those I had met during last week's Bush Marathon festival. I try to personalise my blog entries by mentioning names, but that does mean I run the risk of forgetting to mention some people. Which I did.

So to Marian (right above) and Kevin (left, below), especially, I am sorry. I will stress that neither made a fuss about this. Father, bless their angelic souls!

It's just that I've seen the Da Vinci Code and I'm heavily into self-flagellation and enjoy its liberating effects. In fact, I will probably employ the whip when I battle with Heart Break Hill during next week's City to Surf in Sydney.

"...so father I am guilty as convicted...and I'm happy to now go and run three marathons barefoot for my penance. Thank you, father......God bless you my son."

PS. To my Saturday friends - more photos to come with next post.
PSS. My foot doesn't seem to have suffered anything too serious from last week's run (previous post refers); just a few lingering little creaks and groans now and then.

9 comments:

Tesso said...

Ha ha, I know the feeling. I like to mention my running friends too, but always worry when I do in case I've left somebody out.

Rob said...

I am sure all is forgiven Don. I would just worry about the long memories....just kidding. Like Tesso, I know what you the feeling.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling well. Last week I ran with a new group and couldn't remember all their names, had photos, but still couldn't remember all names. Was easier openly admit that I'm a name forgetter. Hopefully that's not the case tomorrow, running with the same crew.

Ewen said...

Three barefoot marathons - I'd like to see that!

Mount Wanniassa looks tough in that photo Don. A great pic of Kevin, but I thought he would have been too nice to complain about your terrible sins.

strewth said...

Hmmm - Ewen beat me to my comment. I want to see you run 3 barefoot marathons too but I don't want to be the one to massage your feet afterwards - ouch! Hope to see you at City to Surf next weekend but I think there's enough self-inflicted pain involved there without using the whip! Good luck!

Sekhmet said...

That photo is incredible! What a view you must have had - I would love to run there one day, it looks beautiful :-)

PortRunr said...

It'd be easy to get out running with great friends and such a scenic backdrop. I'm pleased to hear your foot is ok, although maybe you should give it a week or two before you subject it to barefoot running ;)
Have a great time at C2S - HBH seems to have nothing on the hills you tackle most weeks!! :)

Friar said...

Say several Hail Mary's next Sunday at the local church, and be penitent my child.

Anonymous said...

What a great site » »