Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Mad Hatters' Tea Party

Today’s City to Surf, my third, reminded me of the Mad Hatters’ Tea Party from Alice in Wonderland. There were enough mad hats on display for a start (as at left). But is was such a great day, a fantastic day, that I could just imagine the Mad Hatter saying to the March Hare: A very merry unbirthday to us! .. The day mightn’t be any special anniversary of sorts. But to those who ran and walked it was special just the same and worthy of a birthday party.

There’s something incredibly seductive sucking in the collective energy of over 60,000 kindred spirits. James Redfield in his Celestine Prophecy talks about how we can become more complete people by drawing in the positive energy from those around us.

I certainly felt like that today. I had a ball. The weather was stupendous; all of us were excited and happy just to be there to participate in one of the world’s great community events.

I stopped the clock at 59.37 and was ecstatic to come in under the hour. When I saw the finishing chute come up ahead and I knew I had beaten sixty minutes, I punched the air and did a little two step. It wasn’t a PB but that didn’t matter. I was just stoked to really run strongly and tackle the hills aggressively. And truth be known I had some help. Throughout the race I could hear this little birdie at my ear, whispering encouragement. Pollyanna we’ll call her.

Being from Canberra, I really noticed the heat. Just after the 6k marker and approaching the bottom of Heart Break Hill I was starting to fatigue. But Pollyanna said: “You can do it - I'm sending some positive energy your way - you love hills so run ‘em hard”. So true I thought to myself, so true. So I pushed on. Again feeling hot and under pressure with those pesky hills between the 10 to 12 k markers I can hear my special friend saying, “…come on you can do it, you’ll be through the hills soon and then it’s all down hill”. “Yo, I can do it…on, on.on…”

Then finally, when I hit Campbell Parade I was really feeling the pain. My chest was burning, my legs were killing me, and I was sick in the stomach. Then I whiffed some wretched cooking smells from nearby bbq's. I felt like puking. “I’m a goner”, I thought, only to have Ms Pollyanna say “you’re running like a rubber ducky. Come on, you’re almost there.” Somehow, out of nowhere I got up a sprint for the last 300 hundred metres. I stormed home, forever grateful to my sweet voiced friend.

I caught up with so many friends and Cool Runners on this gorgeous day. PRB, Bernie, Elle, James, Jane, Greg, Leah (great PB), Aki, Marg, Wombat Face, Jim, John Rawlings, BlkBox (great to meet you mate), Tesso and Miners (pictured at left), Gronk, Ellie80, Strewth, CJ, Shelly, Sekhmet (telepathically), Unidentified friendly lady at the Hash tent, Unidentified friendly guy who’s ran every C2S I chatted to at the start, and to all my other friends who were there in spirit if not in person – thank you so much for this special day. With so many unpleasant things happening in this world, all of us did our bit today to make the world a better place.

It was our very own Mad Hatters’ Tea Party.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a gread day all round and sub 60 mins is not a bad time.

Sekhmet said...

LOL Great to chat to you today Don, hopefully I'll get to meet you in person very soon :-)

You had a great run today and what perfect weather for it!

Ellie80 said...

great to meet you Don! especially nice to put a face to the blog - what a fantastic day :) i do agree that it was pretty warm though!

miners said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day mate, and that we could be part of it with you. Great to finally meet up with you - sorry we didn't get to talk as long as I would have liked. There were too many friends for all of us to catch up on!

Congrats on the great run - in that heat, that was a great time to pull out, particularly when you're suffering through it.

btw - forgot to confirm your worst fears when we met up, but yes - you *are* supposed to wear bike knicks without undies at all. The chamois is meant to be in skin contact at all times, hence that chamois cream (like a wool sorbolene) that you can buy for them.

allrounder said...

like the post TD, congrats on getting in under the hour...

Carolyne said...

Great result under the conditions TD.

I'm jealous of all the Sydney (and points north - Tesso and Miners) CR's who met you!

Horrie said...

Great run Don and congratulations in going sub 60. Have to agree with you that the atmosphere that C2S is something very special.

Rob said...

Great run and great report Don. 14K with hills in under an hour is an effort to be proud of by any standard. Well done!

CJ said...

Thanks for coming over to say hi afterwards - it always good to see familiar faces at these events. It was a great day and well done on your time!

PortRunr said...

Great report Don, and a fantastic run in the Sydney heat! Glad you enjoyed the day :)

Tesso said...

Hey TD, I'm still so excited for you coming in under 60 mins - awesome stuff!!!

You summed up the atmosphere of the race so well. Isn't just the best, hanging out with 60000 runners and walkers. Can't imagine anywhere I'd rather have been on Sunday morn.

I'm really looking forward to catching up again in December in your neck of the woods.

Oh, and thanks for the pic ... I just stole it :-)

miners said...

ahem , yes ... as Tess mentioned, that photo was too good not to steal ;)

strewth said...

Fantastic time TD. It was a fabulous day and great to see so many familiar faces during and after the race. Lovely to have an opportunity for a catch-up chat with you. See you at Urambi Hills on Sunday.