Saturday, June 17, 2006

European dream

Is this a dream....certainly feels like a dream? I should be in Canberra doing routine things, heading off to work, dealing with family duties and all the rough and tumble of the daily grind.

But here I was sitting in a great little cafe beside Lake Geneva sipping a very nice Swiss beer enjoying the delights of a long twilight under this very warm European summer. There was sound of the birds and the bees, the smell of freshly cut lawns, and fragrances from gardens in bloom. This was bliss! Santa didn't give me that exta day in Vienna but he gave it to me in Geneva instead.

I'm back home now, still a little jet lagged and reminiscing about my great few days in Europe last week. (That's me at left at the Heldenplatz in Vienna. The Heldenplatz is famous for many things, although infamous too for an address that Hitler gave to sychophantic masses from that balcony behind me in 1938.)

I had my last run in Europe last Friday in Geneva from my hotel down to Lake Geneva, along its edge to the historic old section of the city. It was just on sunrise and I took the snap below to make a great shot of the sun coming up over the lake. One of the problems I faced in running in these places was having to stop every ten minutes to take a photo, given the wonderful scenery.


Not for one minute do I forget the many blessings I have had in my life. I have travelled a great deal over the years (this is my third trip to Europe) have met many, many wonderful people and seen some fantastic things from Africa, to the Middle East, to Europe, to North America, to Asia. Not least there has been my running, which I have been fortunate enough to do in most of these places.

I have got much reading of blogs to catch up on and my apologies for taking so long to get organised.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Welcome back to reality Don.

Great pics. Gosh, the balcony on the The Heldenplatz. How often have we seem images of that.

PortRunr said...

Thanks for sharing these fantastic experiences Don...sounds like you really made the most of the short time you had there.
Wonderful photos...that's a stunning sunrise!

allrounder said...

fantastic photos, especially that sunrise...

Rob said...

Don how lucky you are to have had all those wonderful experiences. I am thankful for CoolRunning and the miracle of blogging. Without thes we would have has little chance of sharing your experinces.

Friar said...

And there I was thinking you would arrive back early on Sunday morning just in time for the Vets handicap.