Sunday, November 26, 2006

Triple Tri

I've had a big weekend for running; actually a big week when I think about it.

I headed out to the AIS track last Thursday night for my first Vet's meet for the season. I ran one leg of the 4 X 800 relay (a 2.37 for me), which was just so much fun. I then backed up a little later in the night to run the 10,000m. The latter was no starring performance for me. I finished with a 44.14, which is minutes outside my PB. It was hardly a surprise to be honest. It was my third run for the day after I had done a 14 k'er before dawn. Great to see Ewen and Strewth at the AIS. Well done to the both of you for your 1500 m walk and 10,000 run respectively. Good to see Griffin again too, such a friendly guy.

On Saturday morning, I caught up with the Saturday group for a gallop up and over Isaacs Ridge and then tackled Mt Wanniassa before heading back to the start at Mawson. This was a 14 km run and purely social as I was saving myself for the big one Sunday morning. I couldn't stay for the regular post-run coffee as I had to head off to my daughter's Little A's meet to help out as First Aid officer.

Sunday was the Triple Tri - that three triathlons back to back covering almost the length and breadth of Canberra and several of its waterways. I was part of a nine-member work team, and I ran the 20km third leg from the western side of Mt Majura, up and over the mountain, then down to Mt Ainslie, up and over it before exiting the bush at the back of the War Memorial, down Anzac Parade to the lake and then on to the finish at Grevillea Park.

With the temperature over 30 and a very hilly and demanding course, this was tough, hot, and dusty work. My time of 1.43 was nothing special but it was very satisfying simply to survive and finish this run. I judge it as one of the most difficult runs I have ever participated in. I was covered in so much dust, grime, sweat, sticky drink, and sun cream that I was surprised Rico could recognise me when I handed over to him for his 3.5 k swim in the lake.

Overall I was very impressed with what I saw of the organisation of the Triple Tri during my run leg. The drink stops were frequent and well appointed, even in some of the most unlikely parts of the Mt Majura scrub. To see a friendly face at those tables in the middle of the bush was just great.

I think a key point about my running over the last week shows that there is so much structure to our wonderful sport here in Canberra. It would be nice to have a beach or two but for runners the Canberra scene is well established, professional, and diverse. It caters to many standards and interests.

7 comments:

Ewen said...

It was good to see you on Thursday night Don. For a distance runner, your 800 was very respectable - I'd love a time like that!

Well done on your dusty TT effort - Majura and Ainslie are mean hills to have in a relay leg.

You're so right about the abundance of running options in Canberra. If they ever get a decent road to the coast, the beach won't seem that far away.

Tesso said...

Gees, what a big few days you've had! Congrats on that great 800m time.

Sounds like you got a pretty tough leg in the Triple Tri! That's a very impressive result considering you had to scale a couple of mountains.

Question - what do you like best, the short races or the longer ones?

2P said...

Nice 800 Don and a big week - welll done ;-)

PortRunr said...

What a week Don, with a couple of particularly tough days. A 14km morning run followed by two races in one day sounds tough. Then you come along with a really tough run in the Triple Tri...inspiring stuff!

Clairie said...

Don are you trying to get us all to move to Canberra? Sure sounds like it. I am halfway convinced - just need to get Tess to go to.

Cirque said...

Wow- that's quite a varied program you have there!

It must be nice to be home again and running in your favourite spots.

Carolyne said...

Great to hear that you did the 1st Run leg in the triple tri Don. It is a really fun day and I hope to be fit and back for it next year. (There's always next year)