Sunday, December 03, 2006

The cycle of life

I have had a strange week of running, hitting a real flat spot in my form.

I said in my last post that last Sunday's Triple Tri was one of the toughest runs I have done and perhaps that accounts for the way I have felt since. I seem to be battling nausea and fatigue for runs that I would take easily in my stride. Yesterday's 19km run with my Saturday group was one of my worst. I struggled on all the hills and even had to do the unthinkable for me - resort to walking at several spots. I'm not sure what's going on here, but perhaps diet is to blame and mine is far from perfect. Perhaps the heat and difficulty of last Sunday's run took more out of me than I thought.

Still, I'm careful not to complain. I love my running enormously and I am currently free from injury. And as a postscript to last Sunday's Triple Tri we all heard the terrible news that there was a fatality out on the course during the middle run leg of last Sunday's event. Details are very scarce but the story doing the rounds is that a young runner collapsed and could not be revived. I only wish to extend my sympathies and sincere concern to the family of the person involved. That was a dark shadow over an otherwise great day.

On a happier note I had the pleasure of seeing daughter Alana do her thing at today's Women's and Girls' Jogalong at Weston Park. My little darling likes her running and just for the fun of it, as her smile shows (above). As the last run for the year, it was also presentation day and it was a real thrill to see the son of my running buddy, Michelle, take out a prize for best male junior runner.

Running reflects so much of life. Like life, running has its fair share of pain, glory, joy, disappointment, estacy, and sadness. Great runners come and go. All of us come and go. It seems that as soon as we struggle to come to terms with the tragic loss of a loved one or friend, we still have the capacity to see, through our tears, youth and renewal all around us. The cycle of life in its wonderous beauty goes on. See that cycle at work in the smile on a little girl's face doing an activity she loves with the world at her feet. With not a care or a worry about what might happen tomorrow, she is simply living for the joy of the moment.

Running does that to a little girl - or boy. Running can do that to all of us. Let's cherish the little girl or boy in all of us that running - and the cycle of life - brings forth.

10 comments:

Ewen said...

Great post again Don.

The joy of simply running is so evident in Alana's face. Something for all of us to remember.

2P said...

Yeah no one enters a race with the intention of dying... it's not the way it is supposed to happen.

As for your own form - nnnnyeah - ya get that from time to time.

That is a great look on Alana's face - my goal is never to get any older than her in my mind - so far so good :-)

Ruune said...

Hope you have a better week next week. I find that in some ways I appreciate the difficult runs more than the ones where everything goes right. Those make me feel great, but when I really struggle and just guts it out is when I feel I have learned a lot and really accomplished something.

Tesso said...

So sad. Your heart has to go out to the family and friends.

A tragedy like that must take its toll on all fellow competitors as well. Perhaps that's why you felt the way you did this weekend.

Thanks again for taking the time to write, I never leave your blog feeling anything other than inspired.


PS Lovely piccie.

Sekhmet said...

Great post Don - and I loved the photo of Alana!

It could be diet or a bagillion other things making you feel this way at the moment. I do find that the weather has a huge impact though. And sometimes, it's just because your body feels crappy that day - no rhyme or reason

Take care

Cirque said...

That sounds like more than a 'flat spot' Don. Maybe you needed a bit more rest, refuelling,rehydration, recovery from the triple tri?


I agree with the others, it's lovely to see the enjoyment on Alana's face. I wish we could all surrender to the moment like that.

PortRunr said...

Sounds like a bit of R&R after the Triple Tri will have you back in form in no time.
Thanks for the lovely pic of Alana out enjoying her running.
A touching and thoughtfully balanced post Don.

CJ said...

Wow - that was deep! seriously though, you're absolutely right. I have to say you definitely looked like you were doing it hard when I saw you last Sunday - mind you, I probably looked like that when I was running up the hill too!

Thank you for a thought provoking post.

R2B said...

when i started my blog it was named for a poem by (sri chimnoy)? and was about finding the spirituality that you express.

Man have i gone backwards or what?

Unknown said...

Lovely post, Don! ... "youth & renewal all around us"....that's what keep us young at heart regardless the number of our years.

Happy Christmas to you & your family & I hope to see you again sometime in 2007.