Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mt Majura vineyard Two Peaks Classic run

I know I have a tendency to go over the top with my descriptions of my runs around Canberra, but there is something about our clear mountain air that makes me that way. I get a little loopy sometimes. Just can't be helped.

Anyway, I have run out of superlatives (thank God some might say!) for describing last Saturday's run where I ran with Elle from my Saturday group in the Mt Majura Vineyard Two Peaks (26kms) Classic. Most of my Saturday group did the shorter 15km One Peak Challenge.

It was simply the most perfect of Canberra mornings, a little brisk to begin with but later becoming warm and sunny with not a cloud to be seen. The Two Peaks Classic is appropriately named comprising two major uphill sections up and over Mt Ainslie to be followed a little later by a difficult (walk only) section up and over Mt Majura.

It was nearly all tracks and trail through scrub, pine forest, among delightful screeching bird life, kangaroos and the other unique flora and fauna of our wonderful country. (Ewen, take note - there were no slithery things to be seen but I did look carefully during one pit stop). Unfortunately I left the camera at home in the rush to get out the door in the dark earlier, which I really regreted as there were some magnificant veiws to be seen over central and northern Canberra.

The turn out was perhaps not has large as I would have expected, but I still saw many familiar faces. As always, I could really feel that positive energy from the special bond that us runners seem to have when we are there at the start of a race on a gorgeous day in a great part of the world.

Elle and I didn't push the pace and we were content to treat the event as a training run, finishing in about 2 hours 40. That was well back but I didn't care a bit. I simply enjoyed the run and was pleased with the effort as it was my longest run since the Canberra marathon earlier in the year. A special thanks to our mutual running friend, PRB, who didn't run himself but was tremendously generous in picking us up and getting us home again. Thanks also to the Australian Moutain Running Association and John Harding for organising such a wonderful event. And to the volunteers again, what gems. To come across a smiling face at a drink station in the middle of the bush is a unique experience in itself.

5 comments:

2P said...

Sounds positively delightful Don - must try and get down for this one next year.

Nice work ;-)

Ewen said...

I ran over to the course from Molonglo with Chris. Just missed the leaders going up Majura. Waited for Jim W then continued our run, so didn't see you and Elle.

You're right about the great morning Don - we are lucky :)

Tesso said...

Gees Don, you could almsot convince a dedicated non-trail runner to run trails. Almost ;-) One thing's for sure though, its sounds waaaaaay more interesting than track running.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the day in spite of the toughness of those "Two Peaks" - well done! It was certainly a perfect morning for a run. I was out running around the Mt Ainslie part of the run but didn't catch sight of any competitors. I probably started way too late for them.

Cirque said...

We love your descriptions Don, keep them coming!

I'm glad you enjoyed the run.