Friday, September 29, 2006

Voices of America

I have just got back from my US trip and about to head off to Singapore and Bangkok for the second of my four overseas work trips that I am undertaking in five weeks.

So many stories to relate about my week in the US (me at left on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington) but just have to tell this one, a really bizarre experience that probably belongs to one of those 'only in America' categories.

Walking to dinner a short walk from my Washington hotel I came across St Matthew's Cathedral. The Cathedral is a Washington landmark being among, other things, where JFK's funeral was held in 1963 and the spot where JFK junior poignantly saluted his dad's casket.

When I read the plague at the church describing this I also noticed a middle aged woman sitting alone at the top of the church steps (see steps in photo at right). I asked her why she was sitting there in the dark by herself and she told me that this is where she slept for night. I thought she was just another of Washington's homeless - which in fact she is but with a difference.

This woman - Jean was her name - was well dressed, clean, had polished nails, hair neatly done, and so on; not the typical picture for someone living on the streets. When she starting telling me that it was God's wish that she live on the the church steps and that this is what he had directed she should do I began to think I had a looney on my hands.

But as she continued to talk she explained ever so articulately how she was an adult convert to Catholicism, that she had moved away from her family to devote herself to the church, that she heard God's voices and that him and her talked to each other directly. I was having trouble coping with all this and my internal computer chip marked 'sceptic' was working overtime. Yet there was something about this incredibly articulate and attractive woman. I sat on those steps for a good 45 minutes or so going through the problems of the world and being impressed with her take on them and the church. Never in my life have I had a conversation such as this and I will never forget Jean.

I really struggled with the jet lag in the US and my running was of poor quality. But I did have a great run one morning at dawn (see the US Capitol building at left) where I also met a cute young Californian girl called Samantha. We had a lovely run together around the monuments and sites. She was a delight to talk to and it made me realise that us runners, no matter where we come from, share so much in common.

Anyway, I am about to head to off Asia. A trip to Europe is in the pipeline in a couple of weeks and then I am back to the USA in early November. All this travel and disruption is causing me to fall well behind on my reading of blogs. I also have my wonderful and beautiful family to thank for so much and especially for their patience for what is a very frenetic time. I really am thinking about all my blogland friends too and promise to try and catch up with you as soon as I can. Take care everyone.

7 comments:

Clairie said...

Now we see you
....now we don't.

Have fun and enjoy the experience - certainly sounds like you are getting it all!

You will need to do a blog report on your running in four overseas countries and compare the experiences. Like you mention - I think we are more similar than not but there must be some differences in terrain, temperature and yes the type of entertainment whilst on the run!

Travel Safe Don.

2P said...

Hi/bye Don - I love the first Pic - isn't that where Forrest Gump meets back up with Jenny?

Hehe I have a secret theory that runners are just a rung or two up the evolutionary ladder from dogs - we just can't help but noticing each other!

Ewen said...

Thanks for sharing that story with us Don.

Whoever took that top photo did a good job - such a peaceful sunset. A bit different from the scene in Forrest Gump.

You can always find a friend in a runner :)

R2B said...

That was an awesome post and my first thought was i want to go back to America now that i am an adult (something i haven't wanted for all this time)

Sometimes i forget that Americans are just normal people regardless of the way i often feel about their political system.

It's nice to feel the human touch of connecting with a fellow runner.

Thank you for that.
R2B

strewth said...

Great reading about your experiences and some very moving moments. Travel safely on your next trip. We do look forward to having you back to stay in one spot for a while. Love the sunsets in your photos!

Carolyne said...

DC has some excellent facilities for running Don, lack of time is such a nuisance!

Great to hear an update from you, the rest of us don't have any excuses.

Tesso said...

I've been away and was three weeks behind on my blog reading. I'm glad I saved yours for last, just like I do with my favoutie chockies :-)

If you are pressed for time I hope you dedicate what little you have to writing your blog rather than reading others. You can always catch up on us later.