Friday, October 27, 2006

Good to be home

Finally I'm home after the most concentrated period of travel in my life - three separate overseas work trips over four weeks, through three continents and six of the world's major cities.

Just on a month ago it started with an overnight trip to Tokyo, then on to New York for one night and Washington for three nights (see earlier post). A week later I was in Singapore for two nights where I had a great run along Orchard Road (at left), the island's main shopping thoroughfare.

I then went on to Bangkok for two nights to attend a series of conferences and meetings and had a chance to check out Bangkok's caterpiller-like new international airport (at right). I also distinguished myself by getting lost in Bangkok during one of my runs and struggled to get back to my hotel when I couldn't find anyone who could speak English and/or knew where my hotel was. Thus, Bangkok joins Tokyo (2003) and Washington (2005) to those cities in the world where this spatially-challenged runner has...um...lost himself (yes, I know, sad but true)!

Just yesterday I returned from my final trip to Vienna in Austria where I enjoyed the last of Europe's pleasant autumn weather before the northern winter starts to set in. It was my second work trip to Vienna this year and I am coming to love this place. It is just so incredibly beautiful with an aristocratic old world charm about it (see left) and a fabulous cafe culture to match what Paris has to offer. I didn't get lost running in Vienna but I did have a chance to see the city's Roman ruins (at lower right).

The morning after getting home (today) I was out with my running group enjoying a very nice 17k'er through Canberra's forrests and tracks and trails. After spending time with my family, getting back with my running group and catching up with the blog world again I am gradually reestablishing the priorities in my life.

I have had some fantastic experiences over the last month and am so lucky with the opportunities that came my way. It is a month I will never forget.

As always, though, it is so good to be home. There is just a little matter of outstanding tax returns still needing to be done (argh!)

12 comments:

Ewen said...

Welcome home Don. What a trip! Vienna looks enticing.

I'll excuse you for getting lost in a strange city - should have had a Garmin with you ;)

Glad you had a good run with the group this morning - a bit on the cool side. I'm about to head out now.

2P said...

Wow Don that is one helluva trip - good to have you back.

Cheers, 2P

Rob said...

Good to have you back Don. I sure your OS trips have enriched your life. You can settle in to sme warm weather running now.

Thanks for your comment on my Blog.

strewth said...

Welcome back TD - hopefully will see you at the Vets' run tomorrow. You have certainly crammed in heaps in the last month - quite an adventure but also exhausting I imagine and I expect you're glad to be home again.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. You should display a stat - number of runs in cities of the world. How do I get a job like yours?

R2B said...

You do the best photos!

As soon as i saw the ruins in Vienna i recognized it,they do the best Sacha Torte just 50m? away towards the Royal Palace's Horse Stables.

Glad your home and re establishing priorities,something i am thinking of once again!

Cheers R2B

Cirque said...

Welcome home.
There's no place like it or so I'm told.

PortRunr said...

Welcome back Don. That was a fairly intense summary! Enjoy your family time and getting back to some of your group runs. Just don't remind me about taxes ;)

Tesso said...

Good to have you back Don. Wow, you must've done some amazing runs over there. Though there's nothing quite like hanging out and doing lots of kms with your regular running buddies is there :-)

I know all to well the feeling of getting lost running, its my forte. Most memorable was in East Berlin (pre wall coming down), that was just a tad scary.

Tesso said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Friar said...

Good report of your trips, I've heard that it is possible to set a Garmin to help you find your way back to a start point, but haven't mastered that aspect yet.

2P said...

I'm gueesing you have the tax returns done (BTW I owe them back to 1999) so how about an update ;-)