Monday, September 18, 2006

Canberra Times Fun Run

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful comments to my previous post. I was greatly touched by many of the things that you said. It just reinforced to me - not that I needed it - that there are many fantastic people in Blogland who are not just fellow bloggers and runners but special friends as well.

I ran the Canberra Times 10k fun run yesterday. I am not going to dwell on it because I had a shocker. It was a gorgeous Canberra day, and perhaps too gorgeous and too warm. I really felt the heat and struggled home in 41.50, almost a full minute slower than the last time I ran this race in 2004. I didn't enjoy the race, but I did, as always, enjoy the atmosphere of the day and loved catching up with everyone again. Just to feel the energy of the day is special in itself.

11 comments:

Clairie said...

Win some lose some. That's what makes our training so good - we want to keep improving or do better than last time.

I can't imagine how you will go in Brisbane if the weather in Canberra is too hot for you! Fancy hearing a Canberran say that!

As you said - sometimes I don't enjoy a race because I struggle too much and it doesn't seem like fun anymore. But then I look at the others at the finish line with their big grins and realise a race is so many things - not just our personal performance.

At Noosa Half I had a bomb of a race but it was the best weekend in ages. Just seeing everyone and celebrating or commiserating was so much fun!

2P said...

Still a respectable time by my book Don ;-)

Tesso said...

Maybe Superman spun the globe around a bit and we got Canberra weather here yesterday for our fun run. It kicked off at 9am and people were standing on the start line shivering!

I sure agree with your final comments. I think that's why most people run, I know its why I do.

Rob said...

I agree with 2p Don. A very respectable time. Never-the-less, I know the feeling but like you said there is always a silver lining when it comes to running.

Carolyne said...

Results like that make you really appreciate it when things are going well! I speak from experience!

We are all honoured to have you there to cheer us on, however you run . . . it will get better!

PortRunr said...

I'm in the "I'd be happy with that time" group! I agree with Carolyne - it's the not so good runs that make the good ones seem even sweeter.

Rachel said...

I wish I could struggle through in that time!
It sounds like everyone was struggling with the heat this weekend, except that lot from Brisvegas?! Tough lot up there.

Ewen said...

Can I borrow that time Don?

Similar conditions in Sydney - beautiful for spectators but a tad warm for runners.

Rae mentioned appreciating your encouragement last night.

R2B said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R2B said...

Chin up Don,
it was a great training run and something extra can always be learned from the experience!

Deleted comment previous due to spelling mistake.

Anonymous said...

There's always next time. As someone else mention, win some lose some.