Saturday, April 22, 2006

What happened to summer!

It was minus 4 degrees in Canberra this morning. What's happened to summer? It was a cold start and running could be tough in these conditions. Yet I had the most delightful run with my Saturday running group. We were all cold at the start and I couldn't stop shaking. I just wanted to start the run; anything to warm up. When we did get going it didn't take long for my blood-bourne central heating system to kick in, especially when putting in effort to handle the hills. And there was a lot of them on our 17km+ run around the ridge at Isaacs. It is mornings like this that make it so great to be alive - just to be running with friends, the intoxicating air, frost on the ground, fog patches here and there, and another cystal clear day emerging. My post-Canberra Marathon recovery continues. So far, so good.

3 comments:

PortRunr said...

G'day Don, welcome to Team L! That was a great effort in the Marathon. I'd certainly find it hard to kick off in -4 degrees but must be refreshing after warming into it.

Rob said...

I don't know how you actually get out in that sort of temperature Don. It sometimes goes below zero here in Ipswich and that really is cold enough for me.
It's good that you have recovered so well. I am glad to say that I have too and will be runnning the Half at the Brisbane Marathon Festival on Sunday.

Tesso said...

Good to hear the post marathon recovery is going well Don. Then again, with those temps would you be able to feel any pain :-)