Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Canberra Marathon 2006 - my report

Absolutely sensational day and I really loved it out there. I came in with a 3.16.30, which is a couple of minutes outside of my debut PB three years ago but I couldn't be happier (today is only my second Marathon).

I had had a disrupted preparation with injuries over Christimas. Things started to come together a few weeks ago and today at the start I felt mentally and physically great. The cold start helped too, as did, as always, the wonderful volunteers and supporters. For a middle of the pack runner your cheers meant so much to me.

I continued to feel great throughout the run and had to continually hold myself back. I was aiming for 4.45 km splits for a 3.20 finish but found I kept running about 4.35-4.40 splits. The carbo loading worked a treat and I didn't deplete until I hit the 38km mark. The last 10k was the fastest part of the run for me and I still couldn't believe how great I felt and how quickly the kms passed by. If only I could repeat this feeling all the time. The best thing for me personally was to run an age group (45) qualifying time for the Boston Marathon, which I hope to run next year. I had clearly learnt the lessons from the mistakes I made in my one and only previous marathon in 2003. Yet I have still got so much to learn about this marathon stuff.

Congratulations to so many others who were there today. I loved catching up with everyone, from those in my ACT Vets club, my Saturday running group, to those from Sydney, and those from the Brisbane contingent that I met. You are all very special to me. The fraternity of runners is a wonderful thing!

3 comments:

speedygeoff said...

Great effort and I absolutely agree with your comments. Fantastic day.

Unknown said...

A qualifying time for Boston next year & only your 2nd marathon - & what a great run it turned out to be; I'm so happy for you! What a fabulous goal to train for now - Boston 2007 for the Tuggeranong Runner! Sensational!

Ewen said...

You ran well Don.

When it's this cold in the mornings I'm happy to be an afternoon runner.

Glad you're back into it after the cat incident!