Friday, May 26, 2006

What's next?

I had another nice run with my Saturday running group this morning. It was about a 16k effort from Mt Taylor to Oakey Hill and return, along gravel roads and tracks. It was good to get out with the group as I had been feeling off-colour and run-down since last Sunday's SMH half. I was certainly feeling a bit fragile before the run and only wanted to take things very, very slow. But just being with my friends in the fresh air was a great tonic for clearing the cobwebs. I really needed the run.

Since I started with the group earlier in the year, the Saturday runs have become very important to me. After being a solo runner for a lot of my running career, I find the social side to running fantastic. It's not only a way to meet new friends who share the passion, it also makes me a better runner. Like so many runners, my Saturday group are a great bunch, always supportive and friendly. I treasure my time with them.

Jorex, Eddie, Portrunr, and 2p have all asked me what's next on the running agenda and actually it is a good question.

The Boston Marathon, April 2007 is my main goal, albeit still a long-range one. With my 3.16 at the recent Canberra Marathon I achieved an age qualifying time for Boston. I am determined to be there in Massachusetts on Patriot's Day next year. The Boston Marathon first caught my imagination after reading Jim Fixx's classic, The Complete Book of Running. I first read that book well over twenty years ago and have ever since been fired with the dream of running there. I visited Boston in September last year during our family holiday and liked what I saw. I want to go back.

In the immediate future, I've got a series of races coming up: the off-road half-marathon (1 July), ACT Cross Country Championships (22 July), Bush Capital Marathon (29 July), Vets Half marathon in August, the Sydney City to Surf in August, and the Canberra Times fun run in September. One exciting feature is an almost-confirmed trip to Europe for work in mid-June. I am kinda cherishing the thought of running in Switzerland and Austria in a few weeks. Hope it comes off.

11 comments:

Sekhmet said...

I agree - I started off running solo but now my group runs are the highlight of my "running" week :) Nothing like the company of like-minded others and the chit chat makes the k's fly by (especially on those looooong runs).

I've made some very good friends through my running now and I appreciate it every day ;)

Also it makes it much easier to front up at races knowing that you have people there to support and support you in return.

Rob said...

You have a very full calendar ahead of you Don. To run Boston is a very exciting goal. Switzerland and Austria will be amazing. You will be going a the the right time of the year for running. You might otherwise need snow shoes.

(I think it would be lovely going for a long run with sekhmet...don't you!)

Ellie80 said...

boston sounds unreal don! what a great goal - although it looks like you will be kept busy until then too!

Mandy said...

I lived in Boston for awhile...plan a little minivacation while you are there...lots to see!

PortRunr said...

Well that's quite a busy schedule of events over the next few months!
And the Boston Marathon would be great to participate in - amazing how they get over 20000 runners with (what I consider) such demanding qualifying times.
Hope your chance to get some high altitude training in June comes through!

Ewen said...

You have a good group there Don. I miss my Saturday morning group runs.

Your road to Boston will make for interesting reading.

2P said...

Boston sounds great - you will have to break out the lederhosen for running in the Alps ;-)

Tesso said...

Wow, Boston! I bought that Jim Fixx book back in the early 80s too. I could never part with it as it reminds me of when I started running. But for me that chapter on the Boston Marathon actually put me off it, it made it sound so hard!

Now promise your fellow bloggers you will take your camera with you when you run in Switzerland and Austria! Have your tried to find out if any races are on when you are there?

strewth said...

Hey, great to meet you on Sunday at the Vets' Run. It certainly was a perfect day for a run. I'm finally in a team - thanks for organising that thru' Ewen - Team M! You have a great schedule planned for the year ahead!

Unknown said...

Austria will be much warmer than Canberra this time of year, Don...go for it!!

CJ said...

Hi! Nice to finally meet the other day at the vets run at Oakey Hill. A lot of the runs you mention for this year I am also thinking of doing, though I certainly won't be running in Switzerland or Austria!