Sunday, May 14, 2006

Canberra Half Marathon

It's been a hectic week to date and finally I've got a chance to post my report on Sunday's Canberra Half Marathon.

Sunday was a beaut day, perfect for kindred spirits to get out and do their thing. I am tempted to say it was another one of those 'great to be alive' days but all of Canberra's days are like that for runners. The day opened with a beautiful blue sky, no wind, and a little morning mist rising from Lake Burley Griffin. The autumn leaves were everywhere, multi-coloured rose pedals that us runners would soon be sending into little eddies as we trounced and shuffled along on the bike track around the lake. Even the ducks that I noticed in Lotus Bay near the start seemed to be in duck heaven. Their cute paddles stirred the water just enough to break the trance the water seemed caught in. Ah Mother Nature, you've done it again.

Watching Mother Nature was all very nice but it was not what I was here for. My main goal for the Canberra half was simply to get in a training run as I prepared for one of my favourite races, the SMH half in Sydney on Sunday. As it was a training run, I was not going to bust a gut. I decided, instead, to do what others have done for me over the years and that was to be a pacer and supporter for one of my running friends, Michelle. She had a tremendous race. In only her second half marathon she took five minutes off her PB to do a sub-1.50 finish. She showed great restraint in the early stages, not going out too hard. She then maintained a good consistent pace throughout to finish strongly in a sprint. I ran beside her the whole way and it was great to see her run well. I remembered what Horrie and Speedy Geoff had said on the pleasure they had received after they helped their friends achieve their goals in similar situations during the Canberra Marathon.

Running with Michelle in the Canberra half gave a new dimension to my running. Previously I had only to think of myself. Now I had to think of someone else's running needs, and helping them achieve their goals gave me enormous satisfaction. Congratulations Michelle on a wonderful run.

It was great to catch up with Speedy Geoff, Griffin, Maria and Jim, Natasha and Oliver, Aki, Jen and Julien, Marg, Peter, Neil and Kerry. My virtual friends, you too were there in spirit.

The run itself was very well organised and it is a credit to all those involved. The supporters too, were fantastic. They seemed to be everywhere, including one lady I noticed who literally was just about everywhere. It was almost as if she had levitated from one spot to another, as I didn't see any visible form of locomotion. A bit freaky, but nice just the same. Then there was the toddler we saw with the bare bum. She definately wasn't levitating but was waddling around like the ducks I saw earlier. She was almost stripped down to the core essentials, the way Nature meant it to be. Apparently oblivious to the temperature still in single digits, she too was a kindred spirit in her own little way.

Next report: Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

I love being a pacer for my running clinic..I'm slow, so I don't get to pace very many people, but I get alot of new runners, and I love showing them that they can do more then they thought...I may not bring them in for their fastest times ever, but I show them that they can at least try.

I was out for a long stroll today and took a bunch of pictures, so will send you the link once I post them and do the narrative.

Tesso said...

When I started reading this I figured you were on some sort of running high :-)

Any wonder, its such a great feeling to help someone out isn't it. Sometimes I reckon its not so much the pacing but just running beside them keeping them company. It kinda guilts them in to not slowing down. I know that's how I've felt when others have helped me, in the end you do it as much for them as you do for yourself.

Good luck on Sunday. What's your goal?

PortRunr said...

Thanks for your very kind comments on my blog Don. You've given me an idea for a post when I get a chance (probably a long one)!

You're doing a great job drumming up business for Canberra. I strangely feel the need to visit there after reading your post :)
You didn't sell Beijing though!! ;)

Hope you have a great run at the SMH Half on Sunday.

2P said...

Great report Don - it sounds like you guys had a great time.... perhaps that toddler is a child of the Age of Aquarious....

Have a goodun in Sydney mate.

TD said...

Thanks everyone.

royalkangas - looking forward to seeing your photos

Tesso - ideally aiming to do a sub-90 for the half on Sunday but haven't done much speedwork of late. I will be happy to do 1.30 to 1.35 (I would love to knock off that 1.28 pb).

portrunr - you've got me curious about the long post you are considering. Can't wait to see it.

2p - yep, the little one could be a child of the Age of Aquarius. She certainly looked like a free spirit.

Rob said...

It is certainly a great feeling to help someone achieve their goal Don. The only trouble is, one guy I helped leaves me well behind now. Isn't that a double blessing?

All the best for the Sydney Half Don. Enjoy.

Ewen said...

Good report on what must have been a very satisfying day Don. See you on Saturday.