Sunday, May 21, 2006

Sydney Half Marathon

Just finished my third SMH Half. I came in with a 93.00, which is not a PB and not even close. It is, however, my fastest half marathon for a year and I'm happy. I had limited prep and next to no speed work since the Canberra Marathon five weeks ago.

I paid the price for dithering too much with the first 10k, going out in a very ordinary 45.30. But I did a satisfying negative split to come home with a 43, for the second 10k. I felt strong throughout and my hill work paid off with Hunter and Argyle Streets posing no fears for me this time. As always, my pacing needs work.

As usual a great atmosphere out on the course. Despite predictions to the contrary, the weather, too, behaved itself. A lovely pleasant sunny morning greeted the runners. The SMH Half could learn from other races and introduce the Jackel drink sachets that are now appearing. Cups are ancient history I think. I also have queries over the distance markers, they are hard see and I am not sure of their accuracy.

I had the special pleasure to have a pre-race dinner with the famous Lucky Legs, along with Ewen and Bruce. It was a very nice evening and great to compare our various running experiences.

Overall, race wise, a good day but not a great one. Enjoyable nonetheless.

8 comments:

Tesso said...

The main thing is you enjoyed yourself! Canberra really wasn't that long ago, certainly not enough time to get seriously back into speed work etc and then pull off a great half marathon. Then again, doing a negative split means you are still pretty fit.

I'm with you, after using the sachets cups are a pain! And imagine how much less work they are for volunteers, not to mention the hygiene aspect.

Rob said...

I am glad you enjoyed the race Don. A negative split always gives a buz. What's next?

Mandy said...

I'll take your time if you don't want it!

2P said...

Hehe - what Royalkanas said :-)

Yes it would have been nice to catch up - maybe at the next event?

Congratulations on your fastest half for the year!

PortRunr said...

With what I've heard about the hills on the second lap you had a good strong finish (oh, and I'd take 93 as well)!
Good to hear you enjoyed the day :)
So what's next on the running front? Further marathon preparation, or build up some speed for a Half or shorter...or just getting out and enjoying some running?!

Aki said...

Sounds like you're whining! I'd love to do a half time like that! awesome stuff!

Ewen said...

Thanks for joining us on Saturday evening Don - great to have a yarn.

You seemed pretty casual prior to the start - not bothering to get closer to the front. I'm sure you'll be back in the 80s at your next half.

Unknown said...

It was really good to meet up for dinner on Saturday night, Don; thank you for making the long trip from Central to Phillip Street!

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the run. I agree: the atmosphere, the brilliant harbour & the wonderful sunshine made for a great day.

Hope to see you in Canberra later in the year!