Friday, May 12, 2006

I'm in China


I'm in China!

It's hard to believe that less than a week ago I was running with my Saturday group in the cold at the Cotter. Today, I finished my second run along the streets of Beijing in the world's most populous country. It's just a short work trip. I flew up on Wednesday and arrive back in Canberra on Saturday after the red eye special from Beijing, via Sydney. To complete the surreal experience, I will be running in the Canberra half on Sunday.

My two runs in Beijing were along the broad avenues of this massive city, amid the multitudes, bikes, cars, taxis and the city's smog.

Ah the smog!

I don't know what I have been breathing in since I arrived. My throat certainly feels a little gritty. I read in one of the newspapers that the air is especially bad at present because of dust storms in Mongolia. That's Genghis Khan territory. Think I will blame him for the way my throat feels.

I was talking to some Beijing-based diplomats about Beijing's bad air and my early morning run here. Of course, they had their horror stories. One told me about a friend who was zotted off to hospital with some severely polluted lungs. They said he must be a smoker; he said no, he had simply been gulping in the crappy air during his morning run. I felt the grit in my gob get a bit lumpier when I heard this! I also noticed some dirty blobs on my running shirt and shorts. This was a bit strange as I don't remember running through any puddles. I was told I probably didn't. The little dirt bombs more likely came down with the light rain that fell during my run. Umm....thanks. Are they really going to hold the Olympics in this place??

Still, life's too short to get hung up over Beijing air. I was really pleased with the two runs that I did in this place. I felt strong and relaxed and enjoyed the jaunts. Beijing's streets are very flat, with never a hill to be seen. I tried to get the heart rate going by running the rise to a pedestrian overpass. I also had some fun stepping down off the footpath and mixing it with the bicycle riders. Must have been a million or so of them on this particular street. I'm sure they thought they were seeing things, this tall white guy - with a gritty throat - amid a cocophony of wheels and other moving things. I got a real buzz when I outran one lady on her bike. She tried to keep up, but I was too quick. Yeeha! I got some really strange looks for doing that. (I'm modest, REALLY! I do try and keep my competitive instincts in check. I just can't help it sometimes).

Think I have some new visualisation techniques to try out during my run on Sunday. I will imagine all the runners are little old Chinese ladies peddling furiously on their bikes, trying to keep up with this mad white barbarian! (I've enclosed a picture of that mad white barbarian just after he had finished this run).

11 comments:

Rob said...

My Oh My Don! What an incredible experience. You must be quite a sight, running through Beijing. A freind of mine was there a few weeks ago. He was wearing shorts and people tried to pull the hairs on his legs so don't get those little old ladies on bikes stirred up too much.You may have to run even harder than you imagine. I am glad your work is such an adventure.

Unknown said...

What a surprise this is!!! From one 'C' to another! Good running with the 'C' for Canberra run tomorrow!!

Ewen said...

I hope you had a good one this morning Don. Great weather eh?

That's it! After reading your report I'm withdrawing from the Aussie team for the Beijing Olympics!

Tesso said...

What an experience Don! You wouldn't want to stay there too long, sounds like if the smog didn't get you a bike or other moving thing sure would. Talk about living dangerously.

Got any more interesting pics for us?

TD said...

Thanks guys for your comments. As always, much appreciated. Tesso, as it was a work trip I didn't get much of a chance for touristy things and took only four (4) photos in all - none of them are very inspiring and I don't think I could bore you with the others.

2P said...

Hey Don - I've done the Beijing bolt - it's the pedestrian crossings that get your speedwork going.... pity you didn't have time for a run on the "Wall" - certainly gets the heartrate up on the steeper bits!

Sekhmet said...

Wow! That is so cool - what a few weeks you are having!

Almost makes me tempted to have a running trip around the world ;)

Great post!

PortRunr said...

Great post Don!
An interesting contrast to your previous post. The conditions might not be the best, but it adds a bit of spice to get in those runs in a foreign land. Great for getting out and seeing the place when time is short as well!!

Friar said...

Shame on you getting back on the Saturday.

You had a day to recover from the trip.

Now the real effort would have been if you'd got back on the Sunday morning, about 5:30am, after a long plane trip. ;-)

Jaykay said...

Gee you get around don't you!

So how did you do in the Canberra Run? Can't wait to read your report

Mandy said...

I want to go to China!!

But I agree with you, nothing like putting high performance athletes in the smog for a test at the Olympics.