Thursday, June 14, 2007

Comeback....or is it?

After three weeks off I am finally back running. The left foot had been a frustration but my physio tried a new strapping technique that provided more support to the left arch and it made all the difference. Hey presto! - I felt greatly reduced pain and that sped up the healing process.

Last week I was away in Singapore for work and the foot continued to feel so good that when I got home on the weekend I just had to give it a test drive. Last Monday I did exactly that and the foot felt great throughout the run and most importantly after it as well.

Yipee, I was cured.

Or was I? Well, in fact, the foot has felt great. It's just that the evil spirits have paid another visit, playing silly buggers with my right groin/adductor again.

This is the injury I have been battling all year right up to and through my Boston marathon. With my post-Boston rest, the injury had settled down. Or so I thought. Unfortunately, I have felt that damn groin tugging, twisting, pulling, somersaulting, sidestepping, whining, bending, turning - through every step of that first run last Monday, my second run on Tuesday and my third run today. Aaargh, poo, bum, sook, sook (and additional four letter expletives as desired!!) come to mind at this point.

Mood definitely grim. It's about as bad as that freezing, frigid wind we have have had to put up with in Canberra today.

What do I do? I am going to keep running, that is what I am going to do. I am off to my masterful physio on Wednesday and (are you hearing this Tesso?) taping of the adductor will almost certainly be on the menu this time.

6 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Hey TD

You'd better have a word with that "adductor." Once it knows who you are and that you won't be sidelined it will give up and go annoy somebody else.

Good to hear from you, by the way.

Anonymous said...

If you're going to tape that area I would possibly suggest shaving there before you apply the strapping. :0)

Sorry to hear that things are still not fixed!

And how cold is it right now, even in Melbourne!!

Ewen said...

Or switch to a female physio ;)

Sorry to hear about your continuing problems Don. Reading about the various bloggers who are injured makes me very grateful indeed to be able to run - even if it's sleeting and blowing a gale from south of the Brindies.

I hope the strapping enables you to get out there. Fingers are crossed.

Tesso said...

Yay, go the taping!!! I ended up using tape on mine for weeks and weeks, it sure seemed to help.

Though they are buggers of things to fix. Somebody told me it was 18 months before his felt totally normal again and at the time I didn't believe him. But mine seemed to take close to that too. Actually its been even longer than that and every now and then I feel a bit of a twinge.

Good luck! Then again, by the sounds of the weather I reckon I'd be happy if my physio said no running for a couple of months :-)

Rob said...

It's good to hear that you are back running Don. Just take it easy. It's better to enjoy your running than endure too much pain.

Cirque said...

Gee, don't you just hate a whining groin? I'd tape it just to shut it up!

Good luck.