Monday, May 21, 2007

Injury doldrums!

I am sorry that I have gone missing in action since the Boston Marathon and my thanks to Eddie and Scott for giving me a push along to get back on the blogging scene. I have been in the injury doldrums since Boston and frankly haven't really felt like blogging.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that I had thought I had got through Boston injury free. Unfortunately, that didn't prove to be the case. On the night of the Boston Marathon my left foot came up very sore but then after a couple of Voltaren seemed to settle down rapidly and didn't give me any grief for a week or so after the race. But gradually with my return to running the pain also came back. I went to my sports doctor and she suspected stress fractures to the navicular bone on the top of the left foot. A bone scan cleared me of any stress fractures but the pain was still there more or less - sometimes I felt it, sometimes I didn't.

Last Sunday I went for a run up and over the top of one of my regular haunts, Mt Taylor. Strangely, I didn't feel any pain going up the mountain. On the downside, however, my foot caused me real agony and I could barely walk. I was reduced to hobbling back to the car pack.

Today, even with no running, my foot still hurt. I have now decided to stop running completely until this thing - whatever it is - heals. The pain of not running hurts as much as the hurt itself but I know it is for the best. I will take my medicine and return a much fitter and healthier runner. Many others have gone through far worse than what I have got.

I have a great physio who I have much confidence in and I will again work with him closely to deal with this latest set back. As always I will stay positive, hit the pool and the bike big time, and come back ready to zoom.

As for my blogging, I will see how I feel. I will try and catch up with my blog reading as much as I can. But I think my mind needs as much of a rest as does my sore left foot. I think of all of my friends in the blog world often. I won't forget you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you're injured Don - that's really bad news :-(

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery

Beki

Tesso said...

I thought maybe you were just having too much fun running etc and didn't have time to blog :(

Good luck with the foot. I must say I like the way you tested it - on Mt Taylor! Fingers crossed rest (from running) will do the trick.

Ewen said...

I hope you're not long off the scene Don - both with the running and the blogging.

We missed you at the SMH Half. Had dinner Saturday night at the same RSL club - Norma thought you may have been off on one of your many overseas work trips.

Take care, and all the best.

Rob said...

Lovely to hear from you Don. I have an inkling of how you feel as I am in the doldrums myself. I think I lost my mo-jo.

I do hope you mend quickly and bounce back.

Samurai Running said...

Hey Don

You'll be back, with all that's gone on in the 4 months previously it sounds like a good idea to run less for a while.

As for blogging, nobody has been real gunho about posting recently.

Having said that I hope you can write about other things as well. We all enjoy reading your posts.

allrounder said...

bummer about the injury...hopefully you'll come back refreshed...

re why i'm doing water running = recovery from heel surgery...

CJ said...

Its not a lot of fun when you've got an injury and can't do what everyone else out in blogworld seems to be doing..and that's run. It was the same when i was sick - it was depressing to read wht everyone else was up to when I couldn't share it in myself. So take care and get over the injury and we look forward to when you get back out there doing what you love, and sharing it with us!

speedygeoff said...

you'll be back.

Robert Song said...

Sometimes the down times makes you appreciate even more what the upsides of running are.

You'll be back.

Blogland will miss your incisive posts as well.

Unknown said...

How you doin?, Don? Don't worry about blogging till you're well again...we'll all be still here & waiting!