Saturday, June 23, 2007

Minus 5.5

My spies in Brisbane have told me that my home town is going through a cold patch at present where the overnight minimums might dip below +10 on the odd occasion.

I'm sure that will be too cold for some runners up north. I can imagine some will brave the elements in their finest Antarctic running gear with a whine or two about how cold it is. Ahh!

Try running in Canberra where the temperature was minus 5.5 (yes -5.5) at 6.45 am this morning when my Arrows group took to the hills for their regular Saturday jaunt. And was anyone complaining about the cold?

Nah. We just got on and did the job in what was a magnificent morning for running. How's that for a sunrise (top left). The frost might have been as heavy as snow and the mud patches here and there frozen permafrost but still we went on, on, on....for about 16 to 18 k's of delightful running.

They breed 'em tough here in the national capital. There's a few of the Greek Goddesses and Gods (at right), rightful descendants of the heroes of Olympia, true Immortals! And did I tell you the temperature was minus 5.5?

On a (slightly) more serious note, I had one of my best runs this morning since the Boston marathon and my return from injury. I had acupuncture for the first time ever yesterday and although I was told not to hope for miracles my ever persistent groin/adductor injury was not quite so persistent during this morning's run. It was one of those great to be alive mornings in Canberra today. Minus 5.5!

12 comments:

Samurai Running said...

After your Boston effort TD I thought you couldn't get much more "hard core" well I was wrong.

Minus 5.5, you're da man!

Rachel said...

It's so much easier to get out there in the cold when you have a group to meet. I find the hardest part getting dressed in a freezing cold house, but once that's done there's should be no excuses!

Cirque said...

I'm sorry - did you mumble something about the temperature? I didn't quite catch it.

I'm glad the needle in the groin stopped it whining for a while.

Tesso said...

Yep, we Brissos are scared of single numbers when it comes to the temp. But it has been really really cold. It has. I had to put the heater on for about an hour the other night.

Good news about the groin/adductor. Maybe you just can't feel anything, let alone pain, in that weather.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind the cold as long as I can rug up for it. I'll still complain though.

Robert Song said...

I don't know one Brisbane runner that even owns Antarctic running gear.

My only change during the recent cold snap was to wear a cap to keep my head warm.

Weather to some degree is relative. A drop from a normal 16C to 6C is just as hard to handle as a drop from 5C to -5C. On Speedygeoff's recent trip to Brisbane he complained about how warm it was !

Ewen said...

What was that temperature again Don?

That Tesso's a card. Everyone knows you can't buy heaters in Queensland.

It's great to read you were able to run with the group for that distance in relative comfort. I hope you continue to make good progress Don.

As for the -5.5... I love reading about it, and looking at beautiful sunrises, but there's know way you'll drag me away from my electric blanket to run in those temperatures! Guess I'm soft core.

Rob said...

Don we whine when its haot and we whine when its cold. We Queenslanders are a bunch of whingers.

It was down to zero here in Ipswich during the week. I made a concession to the cold by wearing a long sleeve top (+ my usual running gear).

It sure is great that you enjoyed the run. It warms me to hear it.

Friar said...

Why was every one rugged up against the Cold? (Only -5.5)
And is that why the photo is blurred, hands too cold to hold the Camera Steady.

I've only worn my long running gear once this year so far and that was a day of higher temperature, albeit raining.

Unknown said...

Hey Don

Glad you got something from my recent rambling. I love running in the cold and snow! Your blog post made me homesick for England. It's a lovely kind of fond homesick though.

Tesso said...

TD, our whinging was justified - it was the coldest June here since 1950!!!

PS There is something funny going on with your next post merging in with your old post????

Cirque said...

Are you STILL going on about that weather? Good grief, it's not Antarctica you know!

V.v. disappointed not to see the picture of the two goodlooking young men about town in your blog, too! :(