Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Next stop: Boston

I am just back from my latest work trip, this time to South Korea. No more work trips planned for some weeks, which is a real relief. Next stop: Boston - Monday 16 April!

Finally, I have a chance to catch my breath and get excited about the race. My race preparations have continued to be anything but ideal. While traveling last week I came down with the flu and had to take a week off from running. One month out from the race, this was not good. My adductor injury also continues to be a pest. But as always I will focus on the positives. I have a reasonably solid training base behind me and being in Boston will be such a thrill I am sure it will carry me through. I would like to give those Africans a real shake for their money too, but will settle on just surviving the race and enjoying the day I think.

Some 2007 Boston fast facts: (1) total prize money this year - USD$575,000, (2) the field of 23,500 will be the second largest in Boston Marathon history, (3) spectator fleet - 500,000 expected to line the course, and (4) the traditional race starting time of 12 midday has been moved forward two hours to 10.00 am.

I leave for Boston in two weeks on 12 April, flying Qantas to LA and then American Airlines to Boston. Accommodation in Boston is heavily booked and I could only get some place out in the boondocks. But to be there - yo baby!

11 comments:

plu said...

Hi Don.

I just read yur blurb under your name. I must have overlooked it in the past.
Only the other day I was thinking ho much I love my running and how it has made all the other sapects of my life good at the moment.

Good luck with Boston - I assume you are running.

Plu

Ewen said...

10am! You'll have to get up at the crack of dawn to travel from the boonies into the finish, then by bus out to the start.

I hope you've got an 'Aussie' singlet Don, and not one that says 'Tuggeranong Don'... the half a million spectators won't be able to pronounce that!

speedygeoff said...

What's your chest number, TD?

Taking your language translation software?

Rob said...

How exciting is that TD. Man! ypu must be just about jumping out of your skin.

I agree, just being part of an event like Boston will make up for any glitches in you training.

Tesso said...

Better to have the flu last week than next week or the week after.

What about taping the adductor when you run? I did that with mine for a couple of months. After a while the only time it hurt was when I pulled the tape off :-)

Its sooooo exciting!

R2B said...

Can't wait to hear more TD!!


R2B

Cirque said...

I'm getting butterflies for you already!

Vicky said...

Yeeha - not long now! You fly out on my birthday! Bugger about the flu, etc, but onwards and upwards now. Those facts make it all so exciting and real!

MAR.

Dupa Jasia said...

In spite of his professional experience, Starbottle was http://www.moasif.com/12936-par_j.html for a moment embarrassed.. I am the first settled minister in http://www.moasif.com/16749-ta_la_carte_sport_judo_na.html No.. He stooped instinctively for a missile with which to smite his accuser, but brought up suddenly http://www.moasif.com/8276-horloger.html with a jerk and a handful of sand...

Friar said...

Marathon Fever is catching now with the thought of Boston coming up.

I hope the press do a story about the Don from OZ.

strewth said...

Wow, Don - so close now. Hope you have lots of good sleeps before next weekend and a safe trip to your dream marathon. Very very best of luck. Can't wait to read all about it on your return.