Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Kiwis

I'm at Singapore's Changi airport as I write this on the way home from a short work trip to Vietnam and Singapore. That's a typical Hanoi street scene at left - never seen so many bikes!

There's a logic (which is one way of putting it!) to the traffic flow that defies my ability to describe it. Not a great place for running and I was confined to doing multiple 500 metre circuits of a park near my hotel to get in my run (I thought of Scott in Japan with his 10x3k loops).

My future posts are going to be much more Boston related but first I have to deal with a New Zealand theme. I have been promising Vicky in Auckland that I would do a post on something New Zealand related and here it is. WARNING: mostly non-running content follows.

I first visited in NZ in 1975 for a family holiday and have visited many times since to both islands, nearly all for work. While I find the Kiwi's 'chip-on-the-shoulder' attitude irritating at times I love New Zealand and love New Zealanders.

The beauty of NZ takes my breath away and the New Zealanders themselves have made many enormous contributions to the international community out of proportion to their population and geographic size. I think of famous Kiwis over the years and remember Sir Keith Park, Rutherford, Katherine Mansfield (an absolutely wonderful poet) and of course that great nugget of a man, Sir Edmund Hillary.

When it comes to runners, the Kiwis have made a very distinctive contribution. Names such as Lydiard, Snell, Walker come to mind to name just a few. I have worked and drank a beer or two with many Kiwis both in Australia and abroad and there wouldn't be another national group that is as like-minded to us as your typical Kiwi.

I have heard all the sheep jokes (which work both ways by the way) and received all the barbs over that underarm incident of the early 1980s (still remember the day well!) and had to deal with a Kiwi almost in tears over Australia's defeat of the All Blacks in the 1991 Rugby World Cup (another day I also remember well.)

But the point of my tribute to our breathren across the Tasman is this: I think it is time to look seriously at a trans-Tasman Federation.

Now I know Helen Clarke and 4 million Kiwis will be coughing up their Steinlagers when I said this. But there are many compelling political, economic and social reasons why both countries should consider federation, which I wont go into here. I will just say for now that I am not considering a situation where New Zealand is placed on similar status to an Australian state.

I've got in mind a scenario where New Zealand has a special status superior to an Australian state but still within an Australasian federation. We would have a single defence force and common foreign and defence policies and a range of other unified economic and social policies.

But both countries would retain their own sporting teams for international competition much as England, Wales, and Scotland operate within the United Kingdom. Whether we would have unified Olympic team is a tough one, which I will leave to another time.

There are an enormous range of complex constitutional, political and other considerations that would need to be tackled for Federation to occur. But it is time they were.

14 comments:

Samurai Running said...

I've never heard the idea of "a trans-Tasman Federation" raised. Frankly haven't been paying much attention to the political economy of the Asian Pacific and trans tasman affairs for the last 15 years. Still,it was a great interest of mine, having majored in politics and economics at Uni.

At first thought it sounds more than workable and I like the general idea of any framework that would lead to more cooperation, cause sadly the post cold war world has seen a rise in nationalism and less cooperation.

Your scenario where "New Zealand has a special status superior to an Australian state but still within an Australasian federation" also appeals to me but first we, Australians, would have to show that we can do a better job with the status of Aboriginies otherwise they and the Kiwis, fair minded people they are, wouldn't have a bar of it.

Rob said...

Don, I agree with Scott. the framework you propose does sound worthy of consideration. I also agree with Scott's comments regarding the status of the Australian Aborigine. We have a lot of work to do in that regard, which should be paramount to any of our international involvements.

Stephen Lacey said...

I don't have any argument with anything any of you have said. But the biggest obstacle is not only the 4 million Kiwis coughing up their Steinlagers, but the 20 million Australians choking on their meat pies. Your arguments are cogent and reasoned, Don, but for goodness sake, we couldn't even get an Australian republic across the line, how could we ever breathe life into anything as socially and politically progressive as an ANZAC federation?

The other point your post raises for me is the feeling I have had for a few years now that there is nothing like spending some time out of your country for the old parochialism and tribalism to melt away. I really, genuinely like Kiwis and Poms and Yanks, my best mates here are mostly Poms, and the old sporting rivalries just don't have the same passion in them for me any more. When my son left to live in Australia he swapped me a nice light running top I had (which he liked as a soccer undershirt) for his sky blue England Away soccer jersey. I started wearing it for running quite oblivious to any treachory that I may have been displaying. It raised the odd comment of confusion from my fellow Aussies and Pom mates though!

Rachel said...

Having a partner who is a Kiwi I find the concept quite amusing. Yes, he would be coughing up his beer if someone mentioned a trans Tasman Federation, but he prefers New Zealand pies;)

Tesso said...

Interesting. Would that mean we could rightly claim Crowded House as our own? Hmmm.

Then again, that would mean we'd be claiming Russell Crowe, and Richard Wilkins, and ...

Shane said...

I too have never heard of this concept but it does sound plausible. I agree with Stephen look at the fuss the republic debate caused, I couldn't imagine what would happen if this was proposed through parliament.

I was checking out some records/results on the athletics website. It was 77 when Paul Narracott ran 10.0 secs. The only reason I can come up with as to how Josh Ross' time is regarded as the fastest in Aus by an Aus is that the times back then seem to only be recorded to 1/10 of a sec. It seems from 78 the times began being recorded to the 1/100 of a sec. The wind was certainly legal. Strange!!

Shane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ewen said...

I've never seen so few helmets!

Interesting concept Don. Of course, I'd also want them to keep their own Olympic team. I just love seeing the daily medal tally table ;) Also very happy to keep thrashing them in cricket.

Shane, hand times (10.0) are inferior to electronic times as the reaction time of the person starting the watch 'on the smoke of the gun' makes the time faster :)

Louise said...

I'm one of these Kiwis who, until recently, would have spluttered into my Steinlager at such a thought.

But having lived in Australia for nearly 7 years, I think it's a damn good idea. The Aus economy is much stronger, and it would enable NZ to compete on the world economic stage.

I don't think you'd ever see the Wallabys wearing black tho'. :-)

R2B said...

Hmmmm boy that would open up the can of proverbial worms!!

miners said...

hope you're back home safely now mate, and hopefully running on some less bike-trafficked roads as well.

Nice posturing on the Federation plan - too many possibilities (& cans of worms) opening in front of me as I think about it now - but thanks for the thought :)

Vicky said...

Thanks for your message on my blog from Hanoi Don - I felt rather privileged to be getting a post from somewhere so 'exotic'!
Looks kinda crazy - but at least you managed a trot without getting run over - restricted tho it was!

You finally did 'the post'! - interesting reading. Of course I am used to the 'overall' concept as often hear the jokes about NZ being the 7th state of Aus. Your concept is a little different from that of course, and while I can see benefits, I also can't see either country standing for it - at least not in our lifetime! But hey, stranger things have happened! I agree that both countries have issues to address in their own backyards first... And I'm sure that both of us could think of many things that we wouldn't want to take on from the other country...!

You can't make me sing "Walzting Matilda... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Vicky said...

Oooops, see I can't even spell it correctly, so definately couldn't sing it!!

MAR.

Rachel said...

My Kiwi boyfriend, to my surprise, had the exact same thoughts as Louise!