Sunday, March 11, 2007

The 3% club

I was greatly, greatly touched by all the words of support that came my way after 'that incident' with the bike last weekend (the bike and I still aren't on speaking terms). I am a tad embarrassed both by the incident itself and the attention that came my way later. I had very much wanted the focus of my last entry to be on Maria's wonderful poem and I am very happy that others have appreciated it as much as I do. Stephen that poem of yours, too, is a classic. It blew me away mate and, as I said to you, it will come along for the ride with me to Boston. I can't thank you enough for what you wrote.

I promise to finish this post on a positive note but I have to say that the week since the incident has had its emotional ups and downs. I had a lovely run at the Western Creek Half Marathon today coasting for most of the course and only pushing it a bit over the last few k's for a 1.38 effort. Many of my running buddies set PBs, not least Michelle who finished with a 1.42. She took 13 minutes off her course PB and seven minutes off her own overall half-marathon PB; a tremendous performance.

Unfortunately I could feel my annoying adductor injury through nearly every step of today's half. My right glute also became tight and sore during the run and just for something a little different I had some mysterious knee niggles come and go during the run itself. If that wasn't enough my right foot has started coming down with plantar fasciitis again. Mentally I was also down as last night I received the terrible news that a younger cousin I was close to had died suddenly and tragically in a house fire in Alice Springs.

So my Boston preparations are not ideal. But never, never will I be complaining. One of the most exciting things to ever happen to me will take place in just over a month. I have many blessings with family and friends. On Wednesday night I caught up with the famous Lucky Legs, and fellow bloggers Ewen, Strewth, SpeedyGeoff, Aki, Flashduck and Flashdrake for dinner at Dickson. It was a beaut evening and I enjoyed it a great deal. There is nothing like being in the company of fellow runners. As Strewth said on her blog Lucky Legs looked simply fantastic. Every time I have met LL's her she looks like that. She's a pin up poster girl for our sport if ever there was one. It is dinners like this that make me realise how enormously lucky I am and why I treasure each day.

Just how good I have it was also made clear by my doctor earlier last week when I reported in tired and sore after my bike incident. He did all the usual checks, blood pressure, etc and declared - despite the bruises and abrasions - that I was extremely healthy. He told me I looked ten years younger than my age and had the blood pressure of a young boy. He said I was part of just 3% of the population that didn't smoke, wasn't overweight, and exercised regularly. Wow, does this dude know how to make one feel good or what and I know that I walked out of his surgery walking taller than I went into it. But I thought of you my fellow runners. We all come in different shapes and sizes and different levels of ability. Yet we are actually members of one very elite club - the 3% club!

I am off overseas in South East Asia this week for work. I will try and catch up with my blog reading while I am away as I enjoy blog reading a great deal. As soon as I get the opportunity I will be visiting.

11 comments:

Tesso said...

So sorry to hear about your cousin Don :-( Unfortunately for many of us it takes things like that to make us realise how precious life is. I guess we in the running community can take heart in knowing we are trying to make the most of what we have.

Rob said...

Don, again you have put into words what so many of feel. You are agreat wordsmith.

I,too, am sorry ot hear about your cousin.

Your journey to Boston is certainly proving to be an eventful one. The agony and the ecstasy.

Vicky said...

I know you will take all of these recent 'ups & downs' with you Don and they will make you stronger in Boston. I echo so many of your sentiments in this post. Take care on your travels and I look forward to following your journey over the next month.

Thanks for your comments, MAR.

Vicky said...

PS: I'm still waiting for the "Kiwi post" !!!

MAR.

Ewen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin Don. Very tragic.

A brilliant run by Michelle - 13 minutes! And you weren't too shabby either Don. I hope all the niggles subside over the next few weeks, as they should for a member of the 3% club.

LLs was very pleased to see you that evening. Travel safely and hope to catch up before you leave for Boston!

Samurai Running said...

You're certainly getting a lot thrown at you of late TD. I'm sure I speak for our fellow running bloggers in saying "we are with you."

Thanks for the info on the 3% club. It cheered me up somewhat as well. Well that was until I told my wife proudly.

Me: Hey hon, did you know I was in the 3% club?

Wife: Yeah? I didn't think there would be so many people with small dicks!"

Just can't get "no respect".

Stephen Lacey said...

Don, sincere sympathies to you and your extended family on your loss. As Scott mentioned, you are being asked to cope with a fair bit at the moment.
And others have also beaten me to the punch in saying that it was a beautiful post to make us all stop and think about how lucky and privileged we are to have found the true path to enlightenment and happiness. I swear I will go into this weekend's marathon determined to be thankful for being able to run it at all, and not a negative thought about my inevitably terrible and crappy time will pass through my mind. Not one. Well, maybe just one ;-)

strewth said...

I'm so sorry to read about your cousin Don. That is a terrible tragedy. You ran a fantastic run at the half especially in the circumstances and considering the way you must have been feeling at the time. It was good to catch up with you afterwards. You looked great. Hope your week in South East Asia goes well and that you come back ready for your last few weeks of training before a memorable experience in Boston.

PortRunr said...

That's a big week Don. Sad to hear about your cousin - very tragic.
Hope you can get some quality training in while you're away. Look after those legs in these last few weeks.

2P said...

I too love reading blogs Don - of couse it doesn't help when bloglines drops people off!

Found myself reciting poetry too on the run down to the Coxs on Saturday - Kendall's Bellbirds put a smile back on my dial.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.