Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mission accomplished

Well, I've done the deed and run Boston and I had a ball. And I got a pretty little gong for my efforts.

I am absolutely stoked with my result 3.22.03. And thanks Eddie for giving me that as I in fact had no idea of my net time until I read your comment on my previous post. My Garmin would not locate a satellite and I ran blind for the whole race. I had no idea of my splits or of my actual finishing time (and to be honest I didn't really care; I was just having such a great time).

I could not be happier. Despite my terrible preparation and poor lead up form I felt great out there. I felt strong and fast and didn't tire until depletion started to set in about the 23 mile mark. My time was eight minutes slower than my PB and I probably could be accused of dawdling the early stages of the race too much. I was lapping up the atmosphere and doing quite a bit of high fiving with spectators at very points. At the half way mark (13 miles) I was even thinking this seemed all too easy and that was probably a sign I was too casual with my pace early on. But I was running blind as I said above.

The spectator support during the race was like nothing on this planet. I can't really describe the intensity of the cheering, the hooting and hollering, the waving of signs and placards, the ringing of bells, and so on. God it was good for the ego. Bostonians go ballistic about marathon runners and even riding the subway back to my hotel I had several strangers come up and congratulate me for finishing the race. The level of support towards the finish was like something out of a movie and I felt like I had just entered the stadium leading the Olympic marathon.

The beauty of the little townships we passed through on the way from Hopkinton to central Boston was also something special. Even though it was a crappy day the locals came out in numbers. The girls of Wellesley College were something else too. In his Complete Book of Running, Jim Fixx says they are the world's most appreciative marathon fans. He's not wrong. I heard them before I saw them; this massive crescendo of sound on the right hand side of the road as we approached the college. Of course, I had to high five the girls from the college - such appreciative supporters can't be left unappreciated!

The conditions were not pleasant but were not as bad as we had feared. Yes it was cold, wet and windy but so what. I have run in worse. The photo at right shows just some of the 22,000 runners waiting for the call up to the race in the Hopkinton High School gym. I was grateful to be in that gym where it was dry and warm. Most runners slugged out the waiting under tents where conditions were a tad airy and muddy.

I have got my wonderful family to thank for giving me the opportunity of doing this and I have been greatly touched by the level of interest and support that friends on-line and off-line have given me. Several people did some very special things for me and I am reluctant to name names as I might forget someone. But I would like to thank Flashduck who very generously lent me her Garmin. In the end the satellites didn't cooperate with the Garmin but I was very grateful for her kind thought in giving it to me.

I have got the usual post-marathon soreness and I hate stairs (and for such a marathon focussed city why does Boston's subway system have so many frigging stairs!)

Today was simply an incredible day; there is no other way to say it. I just didn't want it to end and was sad when it did.

It has been the greatest day of my running life.

26 comments:

Friar said...

Congratulations TD.

And it's been a great experience for us through your reports, it's been just like being there running with you.

Samurai Running said...

Yes, TD

as "Friar" said it was the next best thing to being there. Thanks for that. Although you described it so well I'm sure no words can do the overall atmosphere, sights, smells and sounds justice.

That is a great time by the way, considering course conditions and the seemingly cruisy approach you took. You really must have been on a high!

Could you tell me were I can buy a "The girls of Wellesley College" calendar?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Don, I'm so glad that you made the decision to go in the end - what a fantastic experience you have had!

CJ said...

Well done - that's a great time! Glad you had a great time tho' I always thought you would! Thanks for your comments - and I'm not feeling too bad post-marathon apart from feeling incredibly tired. My legs feel fine. Enjoy the rest of your stay there.

Rob said...

I am truly thrilled for you Don. What a wonderful experience it must have been. You certainaly have something to cherish.

Congratulations.

Superflake said...

Congratulaltions Don. Sounds like the experience was fantastic for you. I really can't wait to race Boston next year, hopefully with better weather.

Anonymous said...

Great time Don but hey what an atmosphere Boston turns on. You must have been floating most of the way. Sounds like a City to Surf multiplied by 42/14. Wow, after reading your blog I am feeling seriously tempted to try and qualify for a slice of this action myself.

owen said...

Congratulations Don.

Sounds like a truly fantastic day. I'm so happy for you!

There is something truly great about the simple joy of running which, clearly, Bostonians understand.

Best wishes and congratulations on a fantastic time too!

Owen

2P said...

Wow congratulations Don that is a fantastic result - well done mate ;)

Tesso said...

Woohoo!!!! What a result!!! You have been foxing us TD ;-)

The atmosphere there sounds like nothing else, thanks so much for you wonderful description. I truly had no idea it was anything like that.

I am in awe. I feel like you are now the CR High Priest of marathoning after running Boston. Instead of giving you the now traditional CR bloggers punch in the belly I may just have to bow next time I see you.

Congrats on a superb run.

strewth said...

Wow, what a fabulous report and what an amazing experience you have had. Congratulations on a great race. I'm so glad you made the decision to be part of such a truly memorable event. Thank you too for taking the time to make the lovely comment on my blog when no doubt you are probably exhausted and still on a high after experiencing "the greatest day of your running life"!

Ewen said...

Brilliant Don! Sadly, I had the alarm set for PM, not AM and missed the action. Steve's record of your splits on the other post show what a great race you had, and yet you had no idea of splits - amazing!

You kept a promise, and showed who's boss. Well done again, but no bowing from me, just a punch in the guts ;)

One day I'll be following John, Flake and a trail of others in your footsteps. Thanks for the inspiration!

Robert Song said...

I'm so pleased it all lived up to your expectation. And to top it off with a great time, must be the icing on the cake for you.

Fantatsic effort and a great decision.

Rachel said...

Wow, congratulations! How wonderful to live a dream and for it to match all your expectations. Great report.

D said...

Congrats. (I found you through Ewen). Great race and report!

Horrie said...

Congratulations on a truly fantastic result Don. To run that well in a marathon with such tradition is something that will live with you forever. Enjoy the recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hey Don, congratulations and very well run!!!! Must have been a fantastic experience and I bet you're glad you decided to go!

I did my first marathon :) Yes, first, not one and only! If you are interested in hearing about it, send me an email. :)

Safe travels back to Aussie!

Unknown said...

I'm so thrilled for you, Don! The experience must have been almost 'out of this world'! Congratulations & a huge hug for doing so well!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Don,

Great Report by a Great Runner and an even Greater Person !

As most of the other people have already said ~ you made an awesome decision by running Boston ~ one that you will cherish for the rest of your life.

Well done mate, looking forward to catching up with you when you get back to sunny Canberra.

Yours in Running Writing

Gary (GRIFFIN) Bowen

Tesso said...

Hey TD, JD pointed this out to me and thought you might like to read this lady's blog entry for Boston Marathon day ... http://katry.blogspot.com/index.html

Hope the recovery is going well. Have you come back down to earth yet :-)

Vicky said...

Hi Don, read some of your Boston posts earlier but couldn't comment...

Boss indeed - congratulations, not just on your fantastic time, but for having the will and the courage and the guts to get yourself over there and do it!
Its sounds truely amazing and your posts are inspirational.

Its an experience I am sure you will never forget and will be boring the grandkids with in years to come!!

Thanks for sharing the experience.

MAR.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to echo all the previous comments, great going and only 8 or so minutes off a pb, can't complain about that.

I now want to run Boston (and London and New York).

Kat said...

Dan,
Thanks for such kind words at Keep the Coffee coming. I forgot to tell you to check www.southdennis.blogspot.com for a few water station pictures. We were water station 23. 1 miles and thrilled to be so close to the end of the race. We cheered and cheered hoping it would give the runners that last burst of energy.

Congratulations at such an accomplishment. Come on back some time. We'll try to have better weather!

Shane said...

Fantastic result TD, you should be very proud of your result. Congrats :-)

PortRunr said...

Hey Don, I'm so happy for you. It's just great to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much and that fulfilling your dream led to the greatest day of your running life. What an excellent decision it turned out to be.
A fantastic time as well particularly in light of your troubled and limited preparation. Congratulations!! :)

Cirque said...

Nice Bling Don!
Seriously, I'm truly glad you made the decision to go. I'm sure the memories will stay with you for ever.
Congrats on such a good race too, particularly given the weather. Looks like Canberra gave you some good preparation!