Thursday, April 12, 2007

Departure for Boston

My thanks to everyone for your fantastic comments. I have really treasured the wonderful support I have received from friends on-line and off-line and it has all given me a great boost on the eve of my departure for Boston.

Best of luck to all my friends running Canberra on Sunday. I am thinking of each of you and will enjoy catching up with your post-race reports.

For my Boston adventure I am going to break my normal weekly posting habit by trying to post daily if I can. If nothing else, for posterity and for the family record it might be useful for me to record my experiences as things roll along.

I'm currently in the Qantas Club at Sydney International and there is QF11 above at left waiting to take me to the USA. There was once a time in my life when I believed I would never get to visit the United States. I thought I might get their with work at one point. When that didn't eventuate, and after 45 years of waiting, I finally took the family off for a great five week holiday to both sides of the US in 2005.

Of course, lo and behold, what happens? Within a year and half of this trip I do in fact visit the US twice more for work. And now here I am about to go back to the US for the fourth time in 19 months, and for my twelfth overseas trip in that time period. Boston wont be a completely new experience for me as I did visit that beautiful city during my 2005 visit. My family is not with me this time and that will feel strange.

Next stop Los Angeles. I will have about a four hour stop-over there before my American Airlines connection to Boston. I went for a light run near Botany Bay last night and for a Canberra-sider it was great to suck in some warm salty air for a change. I am a little tight this morning and stretching will be a priority on the flight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe travels Don :-)

Tesso said...

Best of luck to you too Don!!!!

It will no doubt feel just a tad daunting lining up for such a big race surrounded by so many strangers. And narry a CR cap in sight.

Please remember, we are all there with you in spirit!

Ewen said...

With that many visits you'll be able to apply for US citizenship when you return at some stage to run the sub-3 Boston.

Thanks for the proposed daily updates Don. That will be good. I hope the weather is kinder than what we're expecting here.

Friar said...

At last you're on your way to the Great Race.

I hope it's a great run for you.

Rob said...

The big adventure has begun. All the best Don. Show those Bostonians how it is done.