Sunday, February 18, 2007

Evil spirits lurking....

With my self-imposed Boston v Canberra drawing near (23 February), I have done myself no favours in the injury management department.

My right groin/abductor responded very well to physio I received earlier in the week and on Saturday I got through a nice 18k run with my Saturday group. I was feeling good and reasonably smug...but the evil spirits were lurking.

A couple of hours after my run I was watching darling daughter do her thing at Little Athletics. I hadn't done much post-run stretching and was standing around nice and tight when the announcement came for a parents' 200 metre race. I haven't raced a 200 since high school and I'm a distance runner, not a sprinter. But being a typical macho 45 year old male who thinks he has more testosterone than brains what do you think the chances were of me just standing there watching the other's dads give it a go? Not great.

So, tight and cold, I ran the 200 hard and finished up with one very sore adductor. It's feeling a little better after resting it yesterday and today and things will improve after I have more physio on it mid-week. But this is not the sort of environment I need at the moment. My marathon preps are behind schedule and I have one of the biggest decisions of my running life looming at the end of the week.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what could you do. The challenge went out, you were there, of course you had to run, and run it hard.

Even in our 40's we still think we need to prove ourselves.

Hope your rest progresses well and not too much damage done.

Carolyne said...

Your analysis is spot on, Don!

Average Testosterone charged 45yo male!

To paraphrase the Simpsons (be like the boy) - "run like a girl"

Ewen said...

What were you thinking Don? Marathoners don't sprint!

Hope you can get out for a nice easy, longer 'thinking time' run later in the week.

Samurai Running said...

So did you win the 200 or what?

CJ said...

Why?!!!

Ever heard the song Dumb Things by Paul Kelly?!

BTW, what was the result of the race? (aside from a v sore adductor)

Tesso said...

Too funny :-) I want to know how you went too.

Good luck with the injury. And with the decision.

PortRunr said...

What a shocker! Hope you've been recovering from your sprint during the week. Oh, decision time looms!

Rob said...

Ah! Those spur of the moment decisions. Pride goeth before a fall Don. I hope you are recovering well.

Cirque said...

'Course you did!

But did you win?

Vicky said...

tsk tsk !! Oh dear Don!

In all fairness, I would have done the same (if it was a mums race that is!!)

Hope things recover quickly and you get back on track...

D-Day has arrived...!

R2B said...

Well it's the 23rd and i hope you have made the decision you will be happiest with?

Let us know soon,

R2B

strewth said...

Thinking of you Don and the big decision - whatever you decide it will be a "win win" situation as one way or another you will run a marathon. Sleep well tonight! Oh and well done on running in the 200m. I bet your daughter was proud of her dad!! You may need another physio appointment but I bet it was worth it!