Monday, September 11, 2006

Lady runners

My Saturday group had another of its lovely runs on Saturday, this time revisiting familar ground at the Cotter Reserve. The group split into two at the start with some opting for a longer 24 km course, and others preferring a shorter 19 kms. It was long and tough no matter which starting point we chose.

The Cotter is simply a wonderul place for running. The trails seemingly go on forever and on Saturday we even had the blessing of a river crossing to contend with (below left). I swear the water in that river was piped direct from the snow country. It was that cold.

The Cotter is not an easy run. Yet, clearly as a group we are getting fitter and faster. As far as I could tell there was not a complaint to be heard about the run itself. Everyone just got in there and did it.

I don't know what it is about the Cotter but I seem to lose myself out there a bit and I came back reflecting on the qualities of women runners, who make up the majority in our group.

Women bring many gifts to this world, not least their intelligence, their intuition, their sensuality, their capacity for feeling and nurture. The ladies of the running world bring all this to running. And they bring more.

I delight in the watching the elite of this world, be they Kerry McCann or Norma "Lucky Legs" Wallet. At the other end of the spectrum are those members of the elite who never make the newspapers but are special just the same.

It's women who can teach us guys a new way of seeing beauty in the world. Think of the exqusite delight of the statue of Venus. This incredible sculpture is one way of seeing beauty. Yet then again look at the ladies in our group. They come with different backgrounds and approaches to this wonderful sport of ours, but all are incredibly fit and are equipped with levels of strength, grace, and enthusiasm that are beyond my words to describe.

I think that perhaps more than us males, running for women is simply a means to an end. Ladies love to run for the fitness and competition that running brings. But it seems to me they run - in stronger tones than us males - for the pleasure of sharing the experience with friends, new and old. I have heard so many times from my lady friends, "I only run for the coffee afterwards". Which I think is code for "I love running because it helps me bond more with my friends".

Running helps us get in touch with our feelings as perhaps few sports do - it helps us map our emotional countours. I just loved the following few words about one of the oldest emotions known to humanity:

"Love doesn't happen in an instant. It creeps up on you and then it turns your life upside-down. It colours your waking moments and fills your dreams. You begin to walk on air and see life in brilliant new shades. But it also brings with it a sweet agony, a delicious torture. It reduces one life to feverish meetings and pining in between." (Q and A, by Vikas Swarup)

If it wasn't for the female of the species we wouldn't be able to say such a thing. If it wasn't for the female runners of this world we wouldn't be able to say such a thing. And if it wasn't for the beautiful (in all its forms) women I have come across through my running that I would be able to say such a thing. Women give insight into what love in this world really means, whether it be in the capacity of one human to love another, a love of running, or a love of life itself.

17 comments:

CJ said...

Gosh that wa slovely! Made my day so thank you! Gorgeous photos too.

Horrie said...

Another great post Don. You express your feelings beautifully. Great photos of your run. It looks great.

speedygeoff said...

I second your remarks. Thinks - gives me an idea for a post, along similar lines, tomorrow maybe.

Tesso said...

Don, you've outdone yourself with this post. It's taken me a while to comment as I'm at a loss for words.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts :-)

Sekhmet said...

Beautiful post Don and I love the photos - especially of everyone sat on the log after wading through the water

Thanks for putting a big smile on my face :-)

Anonymous said...

Don, like Tesso, I'm nonplussed and was going to hold off commenting until I could think of something witty to say. Well, I can't think of anything witty right now, so I'll just leave it at that.

Unknown said...

I finished today's run with a feeling that I should have been able to do better...I never allow age as an excuse.

Then I read the last post in your blog & it turned my whole day around; to read the extent to which you are able to fathom the female human soul. How beautifully you portrayed our psyche, Don! Not many can do that.

The quote : "Love doesn't happen in an instant...etc" went way, way back to a place in my heart where those sentiments will always belong; to a period when I had the first great love affair of my life.

I will trace the source of the quote.

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Which I think is code for "I love running because it helps me bond more with my friends".

YES!

I think I understand and accept myself and my reasons for running more having read your post. Thank you. Beautiful.

Aki said...

:)

Ewen said...

Don... What can I say?

You leave me wanting to write poetry.

I love that top photo - running down the 'Pa' hill with Black Mountain Tower in the far distance and the abundent wattle making it such an Australian scene. Beautiful.

Clairie said...

I am jealous. I want to run in Canberra where all these beautiful trails are!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Don - it is wonderful to know that some of the men out there understand us.

I have to admit - I love running because it keeps me fit.
I love my training because it keeps me close to my friends.

Tesso and I have a wonderful friendship that has bonded through our running. We laugh and cry and tell stories and discuss politics as we run. We whinge about our pains and we celebrate our joys. It is truly my biggest accomplishment in running - my friendship with her.

Anyhow I just wanted to say - you're spot on.

*big hugs*

allrounder said...

you seem to have struck quite a chord there Don...

i don't know why i run other than to keep fit & get faster...the only time i run with others is in races...i do however interact with a wider range of people because of running...

miners said...

Much like Clairie, I'm jealous. However, I want to run in Canberra where all these beautiful women are!

lovely post mate - really lovely

Rob said...

Don, my sentiments exactly. I would never be able to express them the way you have.

I always feel very special when I get hugs from Clairie and Tesso.

Cirque said...

Thanks Don. It's very sweet of you to think such nice things of us.

strewth said...

Oh wow, that is a beautiful moving post indeed Don. As well as keeping fit and healthy and sharing some wonderful deep meaningful conversations with our running companions, we also have the opportunity to meet inspiring and lovely friends like you! Thank you - just stay as sweet as you are!

PortRunr said...

Well said :)