Sunday, August 27, 2006

ACT Vets Half Marathon

I escaped my daughter's birthday party sleep-over and six screaming ten-year olds to run the ACT Vets half marathon today.

I had a really strong run and was again helped by Pollyanna, the little birdie at my ear who helped me during the City to Surf two weeks ago. More on my feathered friend later.

There were some sensational runs today and I was totally in awe at what many runners achieved. Special congratulations must go to several friends from my Saturday group. Emma (W35 1.42), Linda (W50 1.54), Marg (W55 1.55) and Norma (W65 2.07) were all age group medalists - simply fantastic runs by all of them.

Elle - one of my running buddies - just missed out on a medal, coming fourth in her age group (W35 1.46). It was an excellent run by her and I know she was very happy with it. The Spirit of Camelot came to the fore again when she said she dedicated the run to our our much beloved friend, the still hospitalised PRB.

I want to say something about today's volunteers. We all know that we owe them so much. But the volunteers who come to the Vets events are just something else. Before the race I went over and had a chat to one or two and loved their infectious enthusiasm for lending a hand. All of them out on the course, without exception, were helpful, friendly and supportive. Leah, one volunteer and a fantastic runner herself, I know you were champing at the bit to be running today but your legs will thank you for the rest.

It was wonderul at last to meet Flashduck (simply an amazing woman and runner) and great as always to catch up with Speedy Geoff and Griffin.

As for me, I was pleased with how I ran. I felt strong and stuck to my race plan of not going out too fast or too slow. A special thank you to Paul who I met for the first time during the last few k's of the race. Paul and I had a great duel, racing shoulder to shoulder when the going was getting real tough. Inside the last km I moved ahead thinking I had put him behind only to have Paul come back to my shoulder with 75 metres to run. It was then a sprint finish for the both of us, with each trying to outdo the other. We dead-heated, with the clock reading 1.30.55. I was amazed when I found out Paul was in the M55 category. A sensational run by you mate, a great guy.

I was just a tad disappointed not to go sub-90 but 1.30 was easily my fastest half of the four I've done this year and my fourth fastest overall out of nine completed half marathons. It was that little bird Pollyanna who I have to thank for this. Paul was pushing me hard at one shoulder. There was Pollyanna at the other telling me to dig deep when I didn't think I could possibly dig anymore.

Pollyanna and I had a chat after the race and my wise little friend told me about the great coincidences of life. Seemingly out of nowhere you can meet someone new who can infuse you with positive energy, making you a better person. There were many "coincidences" there today at the Vets half. So many runners and friends bringing their own unique gifts to the day - their enthusiasm, their determination, their smiles, their quest to drive themselves a little further. Many had their own Pollyannas to carry them through. That's what makes the day such a special one; a Spirit of Pollyanna day if ever there was one.

12 comments:

Rob said...

Congratulations Don. 1:30:55 is a brilliant effort and one to be proud of.

Once again you capture so much of the runners spirit in your blog.

One of my favourite movies as a youngster was Pollyanna. Haley Mills protrayed her very well I thought.

Anonymous said...

Hey TR, I'll take your 1:30 any day. Great run. You are so right about the volunteers, makes me wonder why they volunteer, but they do.

Tesso said...

Congrats on a great run Don! Wow, you have to be happy with coming so close to that sub 90 goal.

Don't you just love those duels during races, especially towards the end. They are so much fun no matter who 'wins'.

Thanks for the Pollyanna link. Though I couldn't resist reading the spoiler :-(

Ewen said...

Your account really captures the spirit of the day Don. I wish I could have been there.

Some top runs from your group (and your 1.30+ wasn't too bad either). You're right about the smiling volunteers - where would we be without them?

strewth said...

Polyanna was also one of my favourite movies and books when I was little. She would be great to have on your shoulder egging you on! Congratulations on a fantastic run. I was there at the finish line to witness that incredible sprint finish between you and Paul - very exciting to watch. A great run indeed!

allrounder said...

well done on an excellent run...i'd love to run under 1:40 let alone get close to 1:30!

2P said...

Nice work on the 90min half Don - great stuff ;-)

PortRunr said...

Congratulations on a great run Don...and an enjoyable report to read. So running a half is easier than managing 6 ten year olds? I'll keep that in mind for the future!!

Unknown said...

Best of 4 half marathons....big congratulations, Don! Will you be in Sydney for Blackmore's weekend? I'm doing the 9km Bridge Run...should be fun in that crowd!

Cirque said...

Personally i just find Pollyanna extrememly irritating but I respect anyone's right to be motivated by her positive outlook.

However those "little birds' are another matter.

CJ said...

Iknow this is a little overdue but well done on your half marathon - I was the one you nearly bowled over coming across the finish line,in your sprint finish with Paul!

And well done on your MS fun run time - it was a great morning to be out, even in the wind! And also congrats on your running group - they were all doing so well.

Anonymous said...

Someone necessarily lend a hand to make [url=http://www.rayban-cheap4uk.co.uk]cheap ray bans[/url] critically posts I'd state. [url=http://www.rayban-cheap4uk.co.uk]ray ban sunglasses sale[/url] , This is the first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual put up extraordinary. Excellent task!