Saturday, July 14, 2007

Skippy versus Freud and his couch

Cold, (-3 to -4) frosty, and foggy conditions greeted my Saturday running group as we went through our paces over familiar turf this morning through Isaacs, Mt Wanniassa and Mt Taylor in Canberra's southern suburbs. From the top of Mt Taylor, Telstra Tower (left) put on a show as it rocketed through the heavy fog over central Canberra.

For part of the run I had a really interesting chat about the mental side of running with Emma, one of the stalwarts from our Saturday group, a psychiatrist in real life, and a damn good runner. (That's her at right approaching the top of Isaacs Ridge during a recent group run.) Freud and his couch still might have a place somewhere in modern psychiatry but Emma said that exercise plays an important role in therapy to treat depression these days.

This is hardly a surprise. As even Skippy and her joey would know (at left on Cooleman Ridge recently), running makes us feel good. That endorphin release and good honest sweat seems to reduce anxiety and create well being.

But I think intangibles come into play too. A run - any run - is a journey isn't? There's a start, a middle, and an end. While we often focus internally on our own thoughts during a run, the tug of the external is never far away. Whether its is the chat with a running buddy, or simply 'to finish', there's more to think about than just ourselves. Finishing any run is a challenge of sorts in itself.

And what price does one put on being at 'out there' at one with Nature, a great sunrise, and intoxicated with cold, crisp air and the 'sounds of silence'.

Life will give us plenty of mountains to run. But more often than not, as runners, we have the skills to confront those challenges...and win.

In short, to get more out of life we don't have to read Rhonda Byrne's The Secret and learn something slick marketing is trying to convince us is exclusive information when it's the bleeding obvious (and contribute to Byrne's handsome royalities at the same time). Nor do we need to watch re-runs of Mr Bean to feel good about this world.

For the real answers talk to Eddie who ran at PB at Canberra this year. Ask the inspirational Cirque about the tremendous gains she is making in her return to running. Speak to Tesso about the blinder she ran recently at the Gold Coast, or Aki and her own recent 5k PB and her health battles, or PLU, the Owl, Blkbox, Lucky Legs or a myriad of other wonderful runners and people who have come to overcome adversity and challenges through running.

Through running all of us have the capacity in ourself and with those who share the spirit to have fun. And fun I am going to have. So stuff negativity! Stuff you too Dr Freud and your couch!

Skippy knows the real secret. And I don't have to go to a book store and pay $25 for the 'privilege' of finding that out. So there!

12 comments:

Superflake said...

Just get out there and run is the secret isn't it. Having fun and not taking it too seriously. Minus 3 you can keep it. That is too cold for me. I much prefer Sydney winter.

Stephen Lacey said...

Don, fantastic photos. I love them all. Each surreal and/or iconoclastic in its own way. I agree that it doesn't pay to psychoanalyse too much. We are just simple creatures at heart, and if it gives us pleasure to run, and try to run faster, then why not? There are times I reflect a little on the health aspect of running, and I realize that actually running, when we get too obsessed, as we do, can make us less healthy. Injuries, anaemia, and so on. It probably won't increase our life spans much over the average punter, but we will have a much happier journey to the grave, in my opinion. That's about as much philosophizing and psychoanalysis I have in me.

Rob said...

Don, you have done it again. You have said so well, what many of us feel and just are not able to articulate.

You pretty well summed up how I felt after my run this morning. It was so good and just blew away a lot of negativity which seemed to be invading my mind of late.

Thanks Don.

Ewen said...

A great post again Don. That top photo is why I usually don't run before 11am during Canberra winters. Give me +5 and sunshine over -3 any day!

I love getting out in the Aussie bush for a run (we're so lucky to have it on our doorstep), and regard myself as truly lucky to be able to do so.

Thanks for the warning about Emma. I'll keep Freud in mind next time I'm talking to her ;)

speedygeoff said...

That's no depression that's a mountain top!

Tesso said...

TD, you should be submitting articles to Runners' World or R4YL. Sure, race reports are great to read, as is 'how to run a better marathon'.

But rarely are there wonderful musings such as your own. I read your blog and it makes me just that much happier that I am a runner.

Cirque said...

We don't need Dr Freud to explain the benefits of running, we need Dr Seuss:
"Instead, he has Voom,
Voom is so hard to get,
You never saw anything
Like it, I bet."

I'm not sure I'd call my 8 minutes a 'tremendous gain' but thank you for your faith!

Maybe I'll get my Voom back properly one day :). If anything can bring it back those beautiful photos and your inspirational posts will!

Thanks Don

warriorwoman said...

Yeah I agree. I feel really lucky to have made running a part of my life. I can feel a little joy almost every time I put on my running shoes.

Rae! said...

What a great post.Its moving,and inspirational.Great pictures,-3,that's awesome.Here it never gets that cold.we have chilly mornings but not -3.Brrrr...

Unknown said...

That's such a beautiful post, Don! I've read it several times over & find some new thought to take away each time...thank you!

londonjogger said...

interesting post. i reckon both things are pretty useful and have their place but one is certainly more expensive than the other...

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say thanks for your comments on my blog. It gave me a nice fuzzy feeling this morning :0)

If it's cold here in Melbourne it must be absolutely freezing in Canberra. Beautiful photo.