Sunday, June 25, 2006

"Utter, utter bastards"

Our Saturday running group set off to tackle the delights of the "Two Mountains" run on Saturday. It's a long undulating run up and over Isaacs ridge then across to the Wanniassa hills area for a few more 'up and overs' before finishing at the Athllon Drive start - about 16k in all. The higher parts of the run took place in reasonably heavy fog - a bit like a gallop across brooke and dale in 'ole England' - except this was along the tracks and trails in the southern suburbs of Canberra early one June Saturday morning. That's Michelle, at left, a member of our group, coming down off one of the peaks and about to head off into the gloop again.

It was a fabulous run and we all came back on a typical high. It was short lived, however, when we discovered that four of our cars had been burgled while we were out on the run. In all cases, side windows had been obliterated and wallets, bags, etc, stolen. As several of my posts have highlighted, my Saturday running group is something special. After such a beaut run it was very dispiriting to see the faces of each member of the 'family' as they came in feeling great but then having to see what had happened to their cars. Referring to the perpetrators, one member of our group said it best: "what utter, utter bastards".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tesso said...

Oh crap. Crap crap crap. So sorry to hear about that. I always think that bad dudes aren't up and about that early, obviously they are. Calling them utter, utter bastards is too kind.

If you haven't done so already it might be worth posting something on CR to warn people about this sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything worse, having such a great run, nice-ish conditions but only to be remembered by the criminal actions of others.

I've heard all the excuses why people commit these acts and I don't except any of them.

In my professional opinion they are scumbags.

Sekhmet said...

What a horrible thing to happen. It makes me so angry when I hear about this kind of stuff. I know I'll be a lot more wary about what I leave in my car the next time I head off on a long run.

So sorry to hear about that, what a bunch of scumbags.

speedygeoff said...

The politician's solution to the crime wave in Canberra, "build a prison".

speedygeoff said...

.. and I have just seen today's Canberra Times, "change or withdraw the statistics so you can pretend things are not getting worse"

PortRunr said...

That's just terrible...it's such a shame that some people just don't have respect for other people or their property and that this could happen when you're out on a run enjoying nature's finest.