Saturday, September 08, 2007

Venus in our vines

I had a real weekend of contrasts when it came to running. On Saturday I did the usual run with my group over 20k's or so out at the Cotter Reserve. It feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, yet it is only about a 10 minute drive from Canberra's western suburbs. It was a gloopy morning for running with mist and light drizzle. The conditions (at left) could easily have been mistaken for any melancholy day on the Yorkshire moors.

But then came Sunday. This time I was alone, doing one of my favourite runs - and taking photos along the way - from my home in Gordon in Canberra's southern suburbs to the Pine Island reserve then back along the banks of the Murrumbidgee River to home. It was another of those mornings where me the runner, and the birds, the bees, the flowers and the trees all were in love with one another. We were all so high on fresh air and the blue skies that this couldn't have been legal. What a morning!

A morning like this recently with one of my running buddies brought out the poet in me again:

From where does Nature's sleeping beauty spring?
When playful runners roam those dream time hills
And watch the dawn's gold sail to which we cling
To starry skies and the winter moon's chills
Or season's blush - frosty fall's disrobed trees
Kangaroos, scarlet birds, a river's wealth
Wattle wonders, nectar and springtime bees
Nature's pulse, ancient lines that rule by stealth
But how does a lofty mind see such things?
When flirty running girl is my eye's feast
And mankind loses its sense to false kings
Beauty for one, is just another's beast
Yet fragrance flows from Adam's love for Eve
It's Venus in our vines to which we breathe.

For the record, my poem conforms to the structures of a Shakespearean sonnet. I am trying to say that there is so much beauty in Nature, yet sometimes we can be distracted by "flirty running girls" or the materialism of life ("false kings") and beauty is also in the eye of the beholder ("beauty for one is just another's beast").

Yet the bottom line is that it is a man's love for a woman and vice versa that allows us to see beauty in Nature. It's the Venus (love) in our vines (Nature) to which we breathe.

We are so lucky to be runners to allow us to see and feel such things.

10 comments:

Rob said...

Yes Don, too true. How easily we are distracted. Thankfully we have poets, such as you, to remind us of the beauty which surrounds us, whether it be in nature or relationships.

Samurai Running said...

As Eddie said,

Thanks for that TD. Because of that post my next run will be spent with more focus on nature and less focus on the "flirty running girl" AKA my heart rate monitor!

Great photos too

strewth said...

Wow - stunning photos, beautiful poetry. Spring has sprung again in Canberra and today was certainly a stunning day for inspiring such beautiful thoughts. Thank you for sharing them.

Tesso said...

Its been a while since you last posted TD, but this was worth waiting for :-)

I'm hanging out for your book though - complete with photos/illustrations of course!

Stephen Lacey said...

Hmmm...very nice.

I'm not sure it won't give rise to a new saying: "G'arn, get a bit a Venus in ya vine!"

Ewen said...

Which "flirty running girl" are you talking about Don? You have so many!

That's almost up to the standard of Steve's "Ode to Stumblin' Boston Don".

If I'm not mistaken, Yorkshire moors is the view of Ma from the top of Pa ;)

Rae! said...

WOW!!So beautiful!!!!! Nice poem. I don't have the nature so close here.I live in the city and I do miss being out in the country.

warriorwoman said...

Great photos - can't say they remind me much of the Yorkshire Moors though.

Ewen said...

Hi Don. We haven't heard anything for a while - I hope all is well.

speedygeoff said...

Hey readers, this man's facebook has a bit of an update. See http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=618648044