Sunday, January 14, 2007

Urambi Hills

I had a delightful couple of my runs with my Saturday group yesterday and today. Yesterday's was over our familar Pink Arrows territory in the Mawson/Isaacs area to the "Green House" and return. I ran with my running buddy, Michelle, for about the last half of it. Michelle and I did a little bit more than the others, finishing with a 17k effort overall.

Today a few of us from the group did a nice little gallop from MacDonald's in Tuggeranong to the Urambi Hills area and return for about 10k's all up. It was a nice run, even though Michelle and I did get los....er....were a little unsure of where we were at one point. We completed the run with a coffee at Macca's and that was nice too (their cuppachinos can be surprisingly good at times). I rode my bike to the start of the run at Macca's and then home again later and it was a really puffy morning to be out and about in Canberra. It was lovely and sunny with the bird life in full bloom and the sun rising over Lake Tuggeranong. There was nothing really special about this; just another beaut morning with good friends like the many others we have done before and will do again. But as my endorphin and caffeine hit mixed nicely as I rode home on the bike I thought again how sometimes even the most normal and the most rehearsed can be the most enjoyable.

I'm off overseas again for work this week and leave for the USA tomorrow morning where I will spend one night in Washington and a few nights in New York. I will be back Sunday week, hopefully with a post about my running in the Big Apple. I have been so lucky to have had so many opportunities for travel and this will be my seventh overseas trip in less than a year. Travel really does broaden the mind and, as my darling wife keeps telling me, my mind needs lots of broadening!

Oh, just remembered. I have just started wearing "Skins" and find them an absolute boon for relieving the post-run aches and pains I have suffered with for years. I am going to wear them on my 20 hour flight tomorrow to NY where they are supposed to be good in keeping the blood flowing for travelers in sardine class. I usually like a wine or two when I travel and if they can keep it flowing too that will be an added bonus.

10 comments:

Ewen said...

On mornings like that Don... words just can't do it.

Travel and running broadens the mind even more ;) Enjoy your trip - have a run in Central Park for me (photos please). Catch up when you get back.

Rob said...

Have a good trip Don. Take care running in the Big Apple. Don't forget your goals for the Canberra Marathon.

Shane said...

Sounds like you enjoyed the two days of training. It is great to run with a group, much more enjoyable that's for sure.

Have a safe trip :-)

PortRunr said...

The run + caffeine combo is indeed a good one! Glad to hear you had an enjoyable weekend of running. Have a great trip to the States and a safe return Don.

Vicky said...

I agree that the Skins make a differance and aid recovery. When I was doing more kms in the winter, I was known to wear them to bed most nights!

Enjoy NY and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Cheers, MAR.

Tesso said...

Hope I get to visit Canberra again sometime soon and run with you and the rest of your normal crew. You can even take me up THOSE hills again.

Enjoy NY etc. Ah, running in Central Park - how cool is that! I hope they have another warm spell like they did last week, though I saw that in LA at the moment its quite the opposite.

PS Don't tell anyone but ... I agree with you about Maccas coffee.

Sekhmet said...

Have a safe trip Don, hopefully we can catch up for a coffee on your way back

Cirque said...

Enjoy your trip and your runs n NY. I hope you don't get TOO lost this time.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Glad to have found another Canberran runner. It's my goal to run the Canberra Marathon. Might sound hopeful (or mad) but I'm not a runner as such--just play a lot of sport, cycling, gym, etc. So I really have no idea of how fast I run over how great a distance, which makes goals a little difficult. I'm a bit embarrassed to turn up to a Bilby's session for the first time, already having the C. marathon as my goal....

Anyway, any training suggestions/advice/encouragement would be fantastic. My email address is castlerache@hotmail.com if you want to email.

By the way, I'm married to a public servant (DEST) and live in Gungahlin.

Anonymous said...

By the way, safe travels!!!