Saturday, December 16, 2006

Tesso - one of the Magi

Canberra was graced by one of the Queens of the blog world, when Tesso from Brisbane joined me (at left) and a couple of others for a nice run around the Mawson, Isaacs, Wanniassa area of Canberra's south.

It actually felt a bit strange to be honest. This is Pink Arrows territory (the name of my Saturday running group) , except that my group weren't out this morning resting up for their participation in the 'Tour de Mountain' challenge tomorrow. So to be running over the familar tracks and trails on a Saturday without my group felt odd. But to be there with Tesso, along with Steve and CJ, was special.

I was a tad embarrassed that the run was longer and hillier than Tesso had expected. She had wanted something longish but easy. With that in mind, her and I had gone for a 5-6k primer before we would catch up with Steve and CJ for what we thought would be a gentle 13 gallop through the suburbs. What we found, however, was that Steve the Mountain Goat wanted to do a trial run of tomorrow's Tour de Mountain for CJ's benefit. Um...ok! Being runners we can accept any challenge, leap tall buildings with a single bound, stop trains, etc.

So with Steve leading, we followed....little rats trailing the Pied Piper to god-knows-what. Launching out of the shops at Mawson, I warned Tesso that...ahem...there was a gentle little climb to come up and over Isaacs Ridge. A little later I then mentioned that there was....um...a slight incline to negotiate over Mt Wanniassa. Of course after that, I said, it is all down hill to the finish at the Mawson shops - that is if you choose to ignore the one of two 'mild undulations' here and there we still had to do. Anyway after about 14-15 kms of lung-crunching hills I wondered if Tesso would still be talking to me. She was and it was great to have the chance to chat to her throughout the morning about running, about things in general, including our not too dissimilar schooling in Brisbane.

A lowlight of the run was a classic case of Tuggeranong Don 'foot in mouth' disease when I proclaimed loudly for all to hear that Tuggeranong Don never falls over when he runs. It might happen to others but not to me, I said rather stupidly. Of course that dude with horns, a cape, a pitched fork and from a place a little too hot for comfort then made an appearance didn't he! A little later in the run for the first time ever I fell, tripping over probably not much at all and landing in a flurry of dust, interupting a very enjoyable chat I was having with CJ. CJ had been telling me about her yummy gingerbread muffins. I don't think she had realised she was running beside a ginger haired twit!

Anyway, this post is my tribute to Tesso. Tesso's own blog is a delight to read, full of so many observations of other great runners and great runs. But what comes through so strongly in her blog is that running is fun. The 'fun run'. It's the heading on a million promotional flyers for recreational and community runs all over the world.

Yet, stripped to the core, the fun run is our Christmas Star drawing us runners ever closer to the meaning of why we run. Tess, I think you are like one of the magi from the east with their gifts of gold, frankincence and myrrh. Only in your case, your gift can't be weighed or carried. But it is a bountiful one just the same. It is the sense of fun you bring to this wonderful sport of ours. We are all the richer for the treasures you have shared with us.

13 comments:

Sekhmet said...

Oh! I'm first to comment!

Another great post Don - but really? What did you expect? Bragging about not taking a fall when running WHILE you are running lol

Great pic of you guys, sounds like you had a blast :-)

Clairie said...

It just wasn't the same on Saturday without my bestest friend but after reading your post, it is wonderful to know that she gets 'shared' around :)))))))))))

A truly wonderful person that deserves all the good things anyone can write about her.

I hope the fall was gentle Don and nothing too 'skin breaking'.

I'll look after Tesso this week to make sure she recovers from her hill trip. I guess that means she will be ready for Mt Cootha on Thursday :)

Take Care T.Don and have a great Christmas season.

2P said...

Not to mention she is in Team J ;-)

Sounds like a great run Don and you're right Tesso always makes running fun.

LOL and yes - what were you thinking tempting fate like that?

Cirque said...

I'm very jealous (and somewhat ashamed) that you got to give Tesso a Christmas hug before I did (and vice versa that Tesso got in first).

And yes, I have to add...what WERE you thinking? You might as well have begged the running gods to take revenge. Hope you're OK though!

R2B said...

Nice post Don!
Youv'e said it all :-}

R2B

Tesso said...

Hmmmm, I hope not too many Brissos read this, they expect me to be nice from now on ;-)

Thanks soooooo much for the run on Saturday. Ha ha, I must've come close to 10 on the richter scale with my complaining about the hills, but honestly I really enjoyed the run. And you should've heard me bragging to all the locals that night about where we ran :-)

My only regret is I didn't get to meet the rest of your Saturday run group, I'll have to wangle one of those public servant junkets down there in the near future.

Hope your tumble didn't do too much damage. It made for a good story :-)

Thanks again.

See you soon!

Ewen said...

Enjoyed reading about the adventure Don. Great photo of the two wise runners, but what's with the jumper Tess? Do you think it's cold down here or something?

Samurai Running said...

Yes T. Don

I agree Tessoo is "one of the good guys" and without her support we would be all worse off.

Talking about support will they be calling you "Tumbledown Don" from now on? ;)

Rob said...

You certainly summed up our Tesso, Don. Only you could put into words, what so many of us feel.

PortRunr said...

Sounds like you gave Tesso a great intro to the Canberran mountains!
Wonderful tribute Don.
I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year.

Unknown said...

You've summed up beautifully what we all think of "our Tess"! I think you're pretty good too,TD, & thank you for your supporting comments during the year.

I hope you have a very happy family Christmas Day & good running in 2007.

2P said...

Merry Christmas Don

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and all the best for 2007.